Browning BAR??

LUCKYDOG

I'm really considering getting a BAR in 300 WSM. I want to get the camo version. Anyway, I was wondering what kind of accuracy you guys were getting form your BAR's in 300 WSM or other calibers? And I'm talking factory ammo because I don't reload. I shoot the Hornady ELDX 200 Grain out of my bolt action 300 WSM with fantastic accuracy. Thank you for any input.

Have love/hate relationship with a BAR Mark 3 DBM in 308 Win. 100% reliable function w/everything I've fed it, but had hoped for a bit better accuracy than I've been able to get from it. Only bullet I've gotten close to moa accuracy is the 110 gr. Nosler Varmageddon. I'd say it is capable of regular 1.25 moa 5 shot groups. Usually at least 3 of the 5 will be a cloverleaf, but at least one, sometimes two open the group up to 1.25". Heavier bullets tend to shoot 2 MOA.

Plenty good hunting accuracy, maybe I'm expecting too much from the rifle and function is 100%. Mine also has a horrible trigger and so far have not found a smith willing to work on the trigger.

In all fairness, I have developed some eye problems that may be contributing to the problem, but jury still out on that....still hoping.

Regards,
hm

I own two, a steel frame .30-06 and a lightweight .243. Both have been 100% reliable and both shoot under 1" with loads they like. The .243 might be the least fussy and most consistently accurate rifle I own. It doesn't seem to matter what I shove in the magazine the dang thing spits out small groups with everything it seems. The 06' likes 180 gr. projectiles and shoots them very well. Less accurate with the 150's but that is ok by me.

I used to handload for an old Ozarker that lived alone on top of an Ozark mountain in a neat, but very modest cabin. He was surrounded by the national forest for miles and miles. I handloaded 100 of the Hornady 100 gr. Interlocks for the old man's .243 Belgian BAR every year. That old curmudgeon killed everything that crawled, walked, ran, flew and even some that swam with that old BAR. I know he killed a big old flathead catfish that he spotted working a shallow riffle on the river one night with the rifle. The rifle spent a lot of time riding on an ATV. It was always loaded and stacked in the corner of the bedroom. The old man told me he never cleaned it. He would wipe it down with a cloth occasionally but never actually did a thorough interior cleaning. He said he never had a malfunction. I never had any reason to doubt him and I don't think he was the type to lie.

I no BAR expert, only have a Stalker in 308 now. Is the use for hunting?

I kinda would continue to evaluate if so. A few of my reasons, are, 1st off, the trigger with never be as good as most tuned bolt guns can be. There can be added weight over a bolt gun. In bad weather, semi-autos can require more care & attention to operate reliably.

With the trigger I don’t mean extremely light, but adjusted to where you want it. When hunting most comes down to that 1st shot at an animal that isn’t alerted. That’s a reason I often hunt with my Knight muzzle-loader even when other options are available.

I kept my BAR 308 in part because it’s also a tad ‘tactical’, normally use a bolt gun if deer or big game hunting.

That all typed, I’m one who believes choosing something that fits your preference is very much ok.

I have a 90's vintage in 270. It was a great gun when we use to run dogs for deer. Accuracy is around an inch. Never had a jam. It's s heavy gun that will help with recoil.

Well the purchase was made. I bought a Browning MKII 300 WSM with a black synthetic stock. I feel like I had to pay a little to much for it but oh well. I have to admit that I'm pretty excited about it.

As a retired gunsmith who has worked on a number of BAR’s, very few for repair but many for major cleaning. I recommend a total tear down every two years and thoroughly cleaning especially gas ports and piston as I have had many that were stuck solid

My only experience with a Browning BAR is the one my dad has in the 22 LR version, killed a lot of squirrels with it when I was younger.

Was looking for one in 243 but finally settled on a Mark 3 DBM in 308 primarily for predator hunting. Don't save fur down here and 110 gr. loads are very close to 243 performance w/a bit more wallop. Very handy rifle, 100% reliable but a bit of a challenge trying to get down to MOA accuracy w/the 110 Varmageddons and haven't found a heavier bullet it likes. Still not moa, but solid 1.5 moa 5 shot groups w/3-4 around .75 moa.

Mine has a "1.5 stage" trigger....enough creep for a 2 stage but without the distinct "stop" just before it breaks. Not conducive to fine accuracy.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Was looking for one in 243 but finally settled on a Mark 3 DBM in 308 primarily for predator hunting. Don't save fur down here and 110 gr. loads are very close to 243 performance w/a bit more wallop. Very handy rifle, 100% reliable but a bit of a challenge trying to get down to MOA accuracy w/the 110 Varmageddons and haven't found a heavier bullet it likes. Still not moa, but solid 1.5 moa 5 shot groups w/3-4 around .75 moa.

Mine has a "1.5 stage" trigger....enough creep for a 2 stage but without the distinct "stop" just before it breaks. Not conducive to fine accuracy.

Regards,
hm

Thanks for the info. I have a left hand stag in 308 with a 16" barrel that shoots lights out. I guess I will just stick with it then.

Jon

Back