Hunting slings for AR

Hi guys. I am newer to hunting with AR’s. I have always been a bolt gun guy. I am loving the AR for Yote hunting though now, and need to figure out something for a sling. I hunt alot of public ground with a fair amount of hiking in to call. What are you guys running on your AR’s?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Last edited:
I just use one that has a 1 1/4” strap. I do not use the same type I use on a bolt gun. I carry the AR barrel down.

I use a stretchy type with a neoprene pad, I think made by butler creek, barrel up but I put it on the left side of the rifle.

I made a double sling and wear it like a back pack. It worked well BUT have founda back scabbard better as I can carry stool, sticks and caller leaving my hands free.

Before using back scabbard, made with a couple inexpensive slings.
AxySME.jpg

Last edited:
A fixed sling can work great if you have a long hand-guard with integral QD sling swivel attachment points on the most forward and rear parts of the hand-guard. And of course a QD sling swivel.

Other adjustable slings all work fine, and are desirable so you can secure it tightly, then get out of it while doing either front or rear carry.

Those fancy large handled charging handles will dig into you. You may find life more comfortable using the the OEM low profile designs.

I can't get comfortable(mentally) with muzzle down AR carry, maybe because of snow here. I attach the the sling on the side of the handguard, than rifle is flat on my back.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI can't get comfortable(mentally) with muzzle down AR carry, maybe because of snow here. I attach the the sling on the side of the handguard, than rifle is flat on my back.

Same here

I use the QD attachments with a regular rifle sling. It works great. You can adapt them to any M-lock rail or use just the QD attachments if you have an attachment point on your rail or stock.

Yutetuter 2-Pack Sling Adapter Sling Stud with Adapter for M-Rail https://a.co/d/b8bYCA3

These are post for regular rifle slings. So.e of the swivel ones are noisy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI can't get comfortable(mentally) with muzzle down AR carry, maybe because of snow here. I attach the the sling on the side of the handguard, than rifle is flat on my back.

I attach my sling to the side of my hand guard around 7 inches up from the reciever and with a 16" barrel it works great for carrying forward muzzle down or on the back muzzle up and I can just rotate it forward and back without taking it off.

I sure cant keep snow out of anything though. As soon as i sit down and start fumbling with hand calls, remotes and a gun or possibly two I look like a kid playing in a bakery flour cupboard.

I think carrying my AR up front kept me from going full face first through a frozen pond one time but the gun sure froze solid.

My sling has a small captive bungie section so it's got some give but when tight its held by two nylon straps and not excessive stress on the bungie, I think its great but its the only I've used besides old stiff leather slings. I dont know what it is, I got it here from the classified pay it forward section.

i carry on a single point similar to what rock knocker describes - attached right near where the front rail meets the upper receiver. its a fairly decent pivot/balance point and makes for easy access.

if any of you are worried about snow - or other schmoo - getting into your barrels/muzzle devices when out in the field, just put a rubber finger cot over the muzzle/muzzle device.

the thin rubber barrier will do next to nothing to the ballistics of the bullet - obviously test and verify on your own - but its a pretty common tactic for folks out in inclimate weather.

https://www.amazon.com/Lind-Kitchen-Disposable-Protective-Fingerstall/dp/B07SN3BFHK/
better cost per each is available if you buy in larger quantities .

Back