6mm arc or 22 nosler for aDtech upper build?

docjon2013

Well, I am wanting another upper built by Dtech for yotes. The catch is I will be shooting factory only and the choice is between the 2 mentioned. I am leaning really hard to the Nosler because I like fast flat rounds for coyote hunting. I will not be calling at night and it will be for coyotes only. Have other calibers for whitetails. Just these 2 and factory rounds only. I have retired the reloaders and have no intentions of digging them back out.

Thanks
Jon

I did a quick search on ammoseek, it looks like ammo cost is a wash and will be around $30 per box of 20 right now. The 53 gr nosler is available at Natchez among other places. You pretty much answered your own question imo, the lightest 6mm arc bullet I see is 103 gr.

Another thing to ponder is wind drift, which the long 6arc bullets will do much better, and coupled with a rangefinding scope like the Burris Eliminator would be a very deadly combo to further ranges.

I'm a bit surprised Dtech offers the Arc honestly. He told me some time back that he didn't trust the bolts for the Grendel sized case to go long term.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI did a quick search on ammoseek, it looks like ammo cost is a wash and will be around $30 per box of 20 right now. The 53 gr nosler is available at Natchez among other places. You pretty much answered your own question imo, the lightest 6mm arc bullet I see is 103 gr.

Another thing to ponder is wind drift, which the long 6arc bullets will do much better, and coupled with a rangefinding scope like the Burris Eliminator would be a very deadly combo to further ranges.

I'm a bit surprised Dtech offers the Arc honestly. He told me some time back that he didn't trust the bolts for the Grendel sized case to go long term.

I like the arc for playing long ball but I have a 6.5 grendel with a 20" that shoots great. I would love to try out the eliminator to see how well it truly works.
I am just going to have to talk to them. Also, me being a south paw a can get a stag in 6arc lefty too.

I hunt in agriculture country and its always pretty open and windy it seems. Not much cover except on creeks.

Thanks
Jon

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptDistance, wind, etc., your going to want the 6mm bullet.

Probably my goto gun I use mostly is the 243 and then 6.5 grendel.

Thanks
Jon

Originally Posted By: varminter .22322 nosler hands down.

Have you had good luck with it? Just wanting more info for my decision.

Thanks
Jon

The ARC is going to likely return more factory loaded options over the next few years over the 22Nos.
You will also come out ahead on the ARC with more options for brass/supplies if you do end up reloading. You can size/trim 6.5G brass for the ARC too.
Just my thoughts but the 224v is overshadowing the 22nos in the 22 cal department.

We shot 22 noslers with 55 nosler ballistic tips at aprox 3500 fps for probably 3 years night hunting. We killed probably 150 coyotes with that load while battling Trail xp50 poi shift. Fast and flat kills coyotes. Judging yardage is the trick. I don't want to have to worry about trajectory and hold over at calling ranges.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223We shot 22 noslers with 55 nosler ballistic tips at aprox 3500 fps for probably 3 years night hunting. We killed probably 150 coyotes with that load while battling Trail xp50 poi shift. Fast and flat kills coyotes. Judging yardage is the trick. I don't want to have to worry about trajectory and hold over at calling ranges.

Great thanks for the input

Jon

Not wanting to reload makes it tough in my opinion for either one but the 22 Nosler hands down for me. I load 52 gr. ELDM at 3550 and it hammers them. I can’t get excited about the Arc when it uses the same charge as the Valkyrie but I can use lighter faster bullets in the Valkyrie.

Originally Posted By: docjon2013What barrel length for 22?

22” would be my vote

I have a 22” in 22 Nosler and I think it’s just about the perfect length for balance and performance. I don’t use suppressors so that may influence your final decision if you do.

Between the two cartridges you listed, I would pick the 22N for fast and flat. I’ve had very good accuracy with factory 55g BTs out of my White Oak barrel. Have killed mostly groundhogs and a fox with it, and it hammered them.

If they offered a factory load in the 70-90 grain range for the 6 ARC I may change my opinion.

Someone should standardize a 6mm cartridge based on the 6.8SPC case, use standard hunting bullet weights and twist rates versus long heavy for class bullets with faster twists and we’d all be set. The market demand is likely way smaller, but the practicality would be greater in my opinion.

I saw too many complaints on the AR with the 22 Nosler. Then I ran across a couple of guys that use it exclusively. They said tune each load and problems go away.

I had already opted to rebarrel a Howa mini. I went with a 26” barrel, I like speed and I can always it it off if so desired. It is not a 22-250 nor a 22BR, it splits the difference between 223 and those nicely.

Ammo for your use, you just missed a heck of a deal on 22 Nosler ammo. Do a search on Nosler blems, should take you to SPS, shooters pro shop. They had 53 grain 22 Nosler for $1 a round, Black Friday was a bit cheaper. Sign up for their mailing list.
I bought 223 and 204 ammo when Trump was in and a lot of folks let their guard down. When I can buy ammo for the price of brass, I don’t waste time and order it. Ramen noodles and hotdogs for a while, lol.

Thanks guys

I got burnt out on reloading from years of handgun matches, 3 gun , etc. it used to be relaxing and therapy but now when I think of it I throw up a little in my mouth. Lol. To be honest I don’t shoot a lot like I used to and the PCP rifle has bitten me pretty hard. I think if the 6 came in lighter loads I would use it but I think the 22 is the way to go for me.

Thanks
Jon

If a company would just start producing ammo in 6 Hagar everyone could just throw all their other varmint barrels in the trash and be done. We just had barrels chambered and a 24" will run 70's 3400 and we are now running 60s 3523 for a 5 shot average. These loads aren't showing any real pressure yet either.
As far as barrel length I would go as long as you can tolerate. At least 20" and 22" would be better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223If a company would just start producing ammo in 6 Hagar everyone could just throw all their other varmint barrels in the trash and be done. We just had barrels chambered and a 24" will run 70's 3400 and we are now running 60s 3523 for a 5 shot average. These loads aren't showing any real pressure yet either.
As far as barrel length I would go as long as you can tolerate. At least 20" and 22" would be better.

Thanks again. I have never had a White Oak upper but if I did get one of theirs it would be the 24" and Dtech I would get at least a 22". I have Dtech and I know its great quality. Is WOA just as good?

Thanks
Jon

We have 4 white oak 22 noslers and they all shoot very well. Both the 8 and the 12 twist seem to handle 55s well. They do not copper foul either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223If a company would just start producing ammo in 6 Hagar everyone could just throw all their other varmint barrels in the trash and be done. We just had barrels chambered and a 24" will run 70's 3400 and we are now running 60s 3523 for a 5 shot average. These loads aren't showing any real pressure yet either.
I agree whole heartily. Everybody's hung up on fast twists and big bullets now days, when the majority of the shooting's probably at 300 or less. The last four barrels I've bought in 22 & 6mm have all been 12" twist. Back to my roots I guess......

My 20" 12" twist 6 Hagar barrel has a great load with 65 Bergers at 3300.

I just got done working with some 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, and found a good load at 3650. I need to test these at distance to see if they hold up.

Originally Posted By: docjon2013Originally Posted By: varminter .223If a company would just start producing ammo in 6 Hagar everyone could just throw all their other varmint barrels in the trash and be done. We just had barrels chambered and a 24" will run 70's 3400 and we are now running 60s 3523 for a 5 shot average. These loads aren't showing any real pressure yet either.
As far as barrel length I would go as long as you can tolerate. At least 20" and 22" would be better. Is WOA just as good?
I sight in my 24 inch WOA 22 Nosler on a piece of 3/8 AR 500 using thermal at 100 yds. If I'm not careful a 5 shot group will almost shoot a hole through it because they hit the same place.

Back