Had a good first stand today!

derbyacresbob

IMG_1169 by [/url], on Flickr

On the bottom of the above picture you can see my X-Wave caller at the bottom of the picture and there is a big rock on top of the ridge that is about 125 yards past my X-Wave.

About 20 seconds after playing Adult Rat Distress sound a male coyote came out from the other side of that ridge just to the right of that rock.

The coyote was not in a hurry but finally stopped about 20 yards from my caller, about 50 yards from me. The 55 gr Nosler Laed Free Varmint bullet out of my 243 Win put the coyote down hard.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/7353KX42Eq t=_blank]IMG_1174 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

You can see my camo Turkey Chair on the left edge of that Oak Tree trunk, out past the coyote and e-caller.

I made 4 more calling stands and didn't see another coyote. But it was still a fun day.

Good day for you even if only one coyote taken. I use Hornady Vmax 58gr through my Ruger 243 and they don't run off. A bad day hunting is better than the best day elsewhere! Stay after them!

Those chairs make the shooting a lot more accurate. As much as I dislike carrying things like that to a stand, it's well worth it when a long shot need to be made.

Originally Posted By: crapshootGood hunting, pics and write up as usual Bob. Are you far enough north to get into the hogs?

Yes, there are hogs just 70 miles North of Los Angeles. On this last Sunday we saw 8 or 9 pigs about 10 miles from my house while calling coyotes.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: crapshootGood hunting, pics and write up as usual Bob. Are you far enough north to get into the hogs?

Yes, there are hogs just 70 miles North of Los Angeles. On this last Sunday we saw 8 or 9 pigs about 10 miles from my house while calling coyotes.

Ranchers don't want them shot as well?

I agree, 1 is a success and any extras are a bonus.

Love it Bob!

Put me in the camp of, score on the first stand, rest of the day is just gravy!

- DAA

[/quote]

Ranchers don't want them shot as well?

[/quote]

Some ranchers do want pigs shot and some don't want pigs shot.

Each California pig tag costs $25.92. Not to many years ago 5 pig tags cost $8.00.

I hunt on three different ranches that are a little further north on that dirt road in your first picture. Been hunting them for about 15 years now. I had heard the gentleman you hunt for had started leasing this property and knew it was only a matter of time before you were going to be calling coyotes there! Haha.

I used to see a lot of coyotes on this piece of property when I was driving to the ranches I have permission to hunt, but the last year or two those sightings have dropped significantly. About 2/3 of the coyotes on the ranches I hunt are transient (as are the pigs), moving back and forth from the high country. They’ve recently had a huge influx of animals from up the hill, but they seem to be staying a few ranches north of the land you’re hunting in this post. I’ve killed 8 this week, and I’m sitting at 32 since October 1st. About half of those were this years litter.

It’s nice to have another experienced coyote hunter covering land in the same general vicinity as the ranches I hunt. A few of the land owners in that area have tried calling for a season or two and the only thing they accomplished was educating coyotes. The main culprit moved to Oregon last year so hopefully the coyotes will start getting easier to call…

Back