Coyote set up help needed

Patw

We hunt in the Texas hill country. One side of our property is high fenced and several times in the last couple of years we have found deer carcasses near that fence. We think the coyotes may be running the deer to the fence and bringing them down. The coyotes showed up a couple of years ago and we can hear them more often these days. We have a blind in that area and would be hunting deer. In the past I have set up the predator call and decoy and called in foxes after the deer had left.
I have a Foxpro and an Edge joker predator decoy I've had good luck calling foxes and even had a bobcat come in once, but never have seen a coyote. Any advice on how to set up for coyotes?

Without seeing your land and your already calling in fox and cats it sounds like your on the right track. Just remember wind and approach to your stand/blind. If your.property is large enough you might want to look at alternate stand sights or move the carcasses to where you can see them from your house.

Last edited:
Lots of cedar where we hunt. We mostly can see some open lanes from the blinds with shots 80-150 yards. There are a couple open spots to set up but I have not had any luck there.
I have never used coyote vocals, only used dying rabbit or bird sounds. Anyone who has heard me try mouth calls will ask me not to it again.

I had not thought of using a carcass. We do have a 200 yard meadow out from the camp. May set up for night hunts next time.

Last edited:
If you set up a baiting station, coyotes will remain near them. I take rd kill or cleaned deer carcasses and put them in a spot. There is always coyote sign there when I am dumping regularly.

Coyotes can smell better than a Deer and are more cautious....they will come in to rabbit in distress sounds,bird and rodent sounds also...a Coyote Pup distress sound will work very well or Barking/Howling.If Your not good with mouth calls maybe buy yourself a Electronic Caller and add several sounds to it that would help You draw in Coyotes better?

Back