Unexpected success on gun deer opener!

Dultimatpredator

I didn’t see any shooters on opening day gun deer season this year…but this big guy wasn’t getting a pass card. The neighbors were harassing me for the second year in a row screwing up my deer hunting in 20 minutes after they left This big guy came walking down to me. I normally do not shoot coyotes on gun deer opener because I figure the shot noise will spook deer and ruin my chances at a wall hanger. Figured with the one hour non stop harassment going on I might as well make good of a bad situation and remove a dirty turkey chaser. I also figured the shot noise would rile them up thinking I shot a big buck after all their hard work of trying to screw up my hunt. I already shot a wall hanger buck bowhunting a few weeks prior and figured my odds of shooting another giant buck were pretty slim anyways. The old 06’ 7600 with a 180 grain core loct hand load with my new leupols vx7 2-10 dropped it on the spot…like I had any doubt it wouldn’t. Left a fist sized exit hole. I rolled one spring turkey hunting so number #2 Turkey and fawn eater down for the year. I might have to do some calling in a few weeks after all out extra drag out deer seasons are over. I have a bunch of raccoon I need to get rid of again so I’ll get the dog proofs out as well. Had a rotten raccoon walk by and climb into a hollow tree the last couple times out. He’s next on my list after seasons are over.

JHL5bGT.jpg

He was a big male. Unfortunately it had tons of burrs in its hide. A couple on its back were fist sized. I gave up after a half hour of combing and lost a lot of guard hairs. It looked like grey patches where the guard hairs use to be. To bad it was really nice fur. The local buyer said they weren’t buying coyote and coons again this year either. I tossed it but saved the skull. It had some of the nicest and biggest teeth I’ve seen on a coyote in a long time. According to my old scale it was a hair under 40 pounds.

y4sVxHH.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been listening to them howl pretty religiously the last couple of weeks of bowhunting so I knew the population was building up again. My red fox population has disappeared the last couple years. I use to have a pair walk by every morning bow hunting with in spitting distance. For the last couple of seasons. I would assume the new bobcat population took care of them? I’ve always head that greys run reds out of the area? Anyways never saw and grey or reds on camera this year and none while hunting. I’ve had a couple of bobcat on camera this year. I never had bobcat here, or just didn’t know were in my area, till the last three years. I’ve been putting cameras out on and off since they were first introduced back in the late 80’s. Now it seems bobcat are a pretty common occurrence in area along with my turkey population on the downside. Use to have turkey like mosquitoes 20/25 years ago and now hardly any. I believe the DNR started planting bobcat in my area a few years ago. My guess, like wolves introduced here, the DNR figures it will keep the turkey and deer population in check. Trapped one last year for the first time with a draw tag. Hopefully I get drawn again this coming year. I had another bobcat come in within petting distance to my turkey calls. I also saw and shot my first grey fox I’ve seen in decades last year bow hunting. Seems like it’s a never ending battle for game management keeping my turkey, grouse, and wood cock population in check trying to get rid the egg nest raiders.

Last edited:
Back