M1A 308 with Varget

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
Son just bought a new Springfield Armory M1A1. We got so SIG match ammo to break it in with but are interested in loading up hunting ammo for it. Barrel is a 1/12 twist.

I found a fair bit of load data for Varget for various bullet weights & we have about 7 lbs on hand, so that's what we'd like to work with.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendation for bullets, likely game is deer & wild pigs.

I run the Hornady 168's in mine. I'm using IMR 4064. If you want to run the 150"s. I've had go results with IMR 4895.

I've relied on the 165 gr NP in .308 to 300 WM and everything in between for well over half a century for nilgai on down. The 150 NP is an equally capable bullet in 30 cal. as well. Actually have used same weight Accubonds and at .308 velocities & suspect the Ballistic tips would also serve well.

For deer/hogs, the 165 BC makes it the better choice, IMO. For coyotes, I use the 125 gr. NBT in a Savage scout for best accuracy in that rifle and 110 NVG in a BAR, same reason; both w/H4895 since I had 24# on hand when I quit shooting competition (opened last jug recently
frown.gif
). 39 to 41 gr H4895 behind a 150gr SMK was a favorite match load for M1 Garand and 40XC. Have some Varget but have never tried working up a load with it. Ball C also a good choice.

.308 Nosler loading data

Regards,
hm

Back