6mm Creedmoor C.O.L.

derbyacresbob

Why is there such a big difference in C.O.L. between Hodgdon data and Hornady data for the 6mm Creedmoor? Comparing Sierra 60 gr HP 2.410" C.O.L. to 65 gr V-Max 2.605 C.O.L.?

Barnes shows 2.775" C.O.L. for the 95 gr LRX BT Lead Free bullets?

Last edited:
It's all about bullet length & how deep you have to seat them so they stay put.

General rule of thumb is at least a caliber deep. No idea what factory or manuals adhere to.

Tipped bullets will generally be longer than their HP counterparts.

Throw lead free in the mix will make it longer yet.

Sierra & Hornady don't show bullet lengths, but that Barnes is 1.27" long.

The 3 bullets you mention are good examples of 3 very different profiles. The Sierra is a pretty blunt bullet, and probably has to be loaded that short for 1 of two reasons, to keep enough in the case like Alf mentioned, or possibly to keep them out of the lands but I doubt that. The 65 vmax is longer and much more pointed, and the LRX is almost a vld style and can probably use most of a 2.8" magazine without hitting the lands.

Thanks for the replies alf and 204 AR!

I will be loading all Lead Free bullets because I can't legally hunt with lead bullets.

I found some Nosler 6mm Creedmoor data that recommends to use starting loads with the longer bearing surface lead free bullets. I will also make the C.O.L. a little longer with the longer lead free bullets.

I will be loading some Nosler 6 mm Ballistic Tip 55 gr lead free bullets and some Barnes 62 gr Varmint Grenade lead free bullets.

I also have some Barnes 95 gr 6mm LRX BT bullets that I have Barnes loading data for and they show 2.775" for the C.O.A.L on the very long Barnes 95 gr bullet.

Hornady data shows 2.560" for the C.O.L. on the 58 gr V-Max and 2.605" for the 65 gr V-Max bullets so I will make my 55 gr and 62 gr lead free bullet loads a little longer than what Hornady lists for the two lead bullets.

If anybody has any recomendations on loading Lead Free bullets in the 6mm Creedmore feel free to speak up.

Thanks

I love most all 6mm rounds, and I think the Creedmoor might be the best balanced out there now, and especially for your non-lead bullets. I'll be interested in how those 95 lrx group for you, I think that will be a great bullet in that caliber.

I'm a big 243 fan but most aren't twisted fast enough for that bullet.

I'd personally check the distance to the lands for each of the bullets you want to use and go from there. It's pretty likely the short varmint bullets won't reach the lands with any useable amount left in the case, but it's nice to know exactly where you're at.

There's multiple ways of finding that measurement as I'm sure you know. FWIW, about the only time I use the measurement given in the book is when I'm loading something for someone else and I don't have access to their rifle. I figure that measurement should chamber and function in any firearm hopefully.

I have had two rifles that have came from the factory with short throats. Any bullet that is blunt will be jammed into the lands when seated to the bullet manufacturers recommended length. (SAAMI chamber)

You may have better luck just loading the bullet to the recommended length to get started out. Mostly because it makes your notes easier to keep track of when fooling around with many different types of bullets.

I shot that 55gr NBT LF in my 6mm-204 and was very happy with the results, it would break bones without splashing but rarely exited. The 62gr always exited on cross body shots with big exits. I talked to Barnes about it and their take was the lower speed I was shooting was the caused of it, I think I was shooting them in 3500fps range with the Nosler's a 100 fps faster.

I just found out that the threaded bullet seater plug on my new 6mm Creedmoor dies is to short.

It looks like RCBS thought everybody was going to reload very long bullets in their 6MM Creednoors.

With the die screwed all the way down and the threaded seater plug screwed all the way in I cant seat 6mm 62 gr Varmint Grenase bullets. There is no bullet sticking out to even start seating the bullet.

My brass hits the die with no part of the bullet going inside the brass.

Originally Posted By: alfBorrow the seater assembly out of another RCBS die if you have one.....

The seater assembly out of my 243 Win dies was the same length.

Back