Pictures of the country you hunt.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Over the years I have no problems posting pics of the country I hunt as I don't hunt the same stands very often, plus I hunt public lands almost exclusively. Everywhere I have lived there is a lot of public lands, WI, MN, WA, CO, NM, plus I travel a lot to hunt. The conventions that PM put on were great as I would take my vacations when I was working and hunt my way to and from them.

I love seeing the country that Derbyacresbob hunts, his pictures are great. I've traveled through that country quite often and always think wouldn't that be cool to hunt those hills.

I hunt a variety of country from close cover to hill country if I'm there.

So here goes, Add your pics as it is good to see what others are hunting.

Palo Verde thickets, fun to hunt as the coyotes seem to sneak into the caller hiding behind the trees and watching the decoy untill the get close.
PnIUhQ.jpg

Grass lands in northern NV, my nephew picked one off the top of the far hill
wQQDZ0.jpg

Mixed grass and mesquite along the southen border
C8k2X8.jpg

More to come have to do some stuff not hunting related.

Last edited:
More pictures from different ranches that are pretty close to my house.
IMG_1807 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/Y6366C2fF3 t=_blank]IMG_4247 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/6j9m925V1M t=_blank]IMG_8720 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/hz88H912c6 t=_blank]IMG_0372 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/HU9kKw0a84 t=_blank]IMG_0203 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/xXKvmR557X t=_blank]IMG_8757 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/YtKg5117n5 t=_blank]IMG_0194 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
The last picture was taken on top of the Temblor Mountain Range at the South end of the San Joaquin Valley, looking North above the fog to the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range at least 100 miles to the North.

DAB those coyote must be part mountain goat

DAA, that is some pretty country, I've hunted some of that west of SLC

Here is some rather unique country, mesquite mounds, the mesquite plants capture blowing dust and the mounds get bigger until the area is filled with 6'-15' tall mounds it is fun to hunt because the coyotes just appear around the sides of them, people rarely hunt them as you can't see them coming. It's a rush when they show up, this is country just made for a combo gun.
Gqv5KF.jpg

Thick mesquite flat with small openings in them, some of the openings run through them for a ways and it is another place you'll find coyotes.
6VaVrU.jpg

Northern WI we would set the caller down in the bottom and call red fox years ago now it is coyotes, wolves and bobcats. My BinL hunts around dairy farms for coyotes but when he heads into the woods the odds are just as good to call a wolf or bobcat as a coyote.
RGmczn.jpg

Here's an interesting spot, that a surprising number of coyotes, we sat up against the power poles out in the distance to break up our silhouette. Here you could see them coming for a long way.
tizRl9.jpg

Northern NV we killed 20 coyotes within 10 miles of this over two weeks, it was fun hunting. This is a pic from our campsite.
rCH1z0.jpg

I love cold calling areas and hunting all types of terrain. As I travel the country I'm always think "That looks like a great spot to hunt coyotes".

Last edited:
Great pictures; enjoy seeing others' stomping grounds!

The ranches I hunt combine virgin mesquite brush (dark green), roller chopped pastures in various stages of re-growth (lighter green to brown), oil/gas exploration pads (white), criss crossed by pipeline senderos and two tracks.
46150481601_716692d1bb_z.jpg

32279247898_46cf5f9654_z.jpg

Even has a few clearings such as this one adjacent to a windmill.
39880581523_415f84518a_z.jpg

Heavy virgin brush surrounds most water holes on the ranch.
49288471786_a7db8e27d4_z.jpg

The pastures (brown areas on areal view) are usually covered with knee to hip high grass.
49288685232_ae3ab560e3_z.jpg

Looking down a pipeline sendero often is the only option when calling as many of the roller chopped pastures are waist high, or higher w/new growth mesquite, etc.
44095459570_7e08ed0d6f_z.jpg
35529548951_560c8cd891_z.jpg

36147649762_fc3cd6a18a_o.jpg

35533238122_8fc3b9816e_c.jpg

Pretty hard to see a coyote when the grass is this high.

Regards,
hm

Flinthills sunset

Probably killed more coyotes on this stand than any other. What you can't see is the pond dam I'm sitting on or the draw to the left. They will often approach from over the hill on the fence line.

A lot of pastureland with brushy draws that are drainages from the hills to the Upper Verdigris.

A view from the East window of my house with the Verdigris River being 3/8 mile away. I've sat under the furthest pine tree in the picture and called and killed one.

I hunt public ground in the Missouri Ozarks. My stomping grounds are mile upon mile of steep up and down unbroken hardwood forest. There are clear springs and brushy creeks that cut through the hills, long hollers, side draws, spur ridges and long mainline ridges. It gets some timber cutting here and there and there are logging roads, log landing/loading sites, clearcuts here and there in various stages of regrowth. Mostly though it is an unbroken forest. I call it a hardwoods desert.

Got caught in a forest fire. I had been down in the holler where you see the smoke coming from that morning. I could smell smoke first. Then ashes started sifting down through the air like a light snowfall. A flock of turkeys flew low overhead and I noticed the intensity of the ash falling was heavier and I knew the fire was coming in my direction. My truck was in the direction of the fire and I worried my truck was already in the fire. I had to really hustle to get out of the bottom, strike a ridgetop that would head in a safe direction and circle around to my truck... if possible. When I got to about mid slope the smoke was laying across the mountain like a heavy fog and the ashes were heavy and falling thick like a hard snow. I made it to my truck and got out of there and drove around to any area where I could see better from a high point.

Last edited:
More Ozark country pics...

Bear from about 20 yards. He didn't bother me, I didn't bother him.

Put the sneak on this Ozark elk, photo was from about 25 yards.

I passed this little buck second morning of gun deer season.

Hogs don't get a pass...

Speaking of sun rise, one of my favorite mornings after an all night rain.
35567939121_3af645615f_c.jpg

Not a lot of water other than stock tanks but here is one of the larger ponds (during wet seasons).
35568187391_bdecd24ce7_z.jpg

34889378753_50dd4a2436_c.jpg

Got a pretty short leash, so I'm resigned to hunt the brush country when I do get out, but sure is fun to see where you guys hunt. Helps explain why the old saw "different strokes for different folks" is so applicable.

Really enjoy seeing others' terrain. Great pictures, guys, keep 'em coming.

Regards,
hm

Great pics of the sunrises.

The Ozarks look interesting. Glad you got out of the fire.

My dad got caught in an forest fire and they were told to leave their rigs to burn and would evac them with a helicopter. Dad and the game Warden made a run for it, ending up having to pour their boat gas in the trucks. They went through a couple of evac towns to a fire camp that gave them some gas. That was up near Red Lake Ont.

Last edited:
Great stuff guys. Thanks for sharing!

Had my intended travel path blocked by wildfire before, but never had to actually run from it!

- DAA

I know wildfires can be devastating, even in parts of Kansas, which has been proven in the past couple of years. In the Flinthills "controlled burns" are used every year for brush and weed control and to remove dormant vegetation. It's proven to increase rate of gain on yearling cattle by at least a 1/4 lb. a day. 2 to 2 1/2 million acres are burned every year.

If the wind doesn't blow for a couple of days during burning season the air can get a little thick. City folks don't like it and it is becoming more regulated every year.
It pushes the coyotes around and takes them out of their comfort zone. Calling can get really good.

Last edited:
First you open a dialog box on PM by clicking REPLY or NEW TOPIC.
Click fourth box from left to choose where you wish the picture to be placed:

52531035283_b78909071d_z.jpg

In this case I chose NON FLOATING IMAGE

52530491991_56c471c919_z.jpg

Note: Remove the http shown above before pasting your url in above box!

Next, open Flikr and click on picture you wish to post.

52531061888_6c9ccdf7b4_z.jpg

Click on OPEN PHOTO PAGE located just under chosen picture. Chosen picture will appear; click the ARROW @ lower right hand corner of screen and choose VIEW ALL SIZES in popup window.

52530028252_9bb9106713_z.jpg

Next choose size of picture you wish to post from list above your picture. In this case, I clicked 320, then right click on your picture and pick COPY PICTURE LINK.

52530496331_1c0ac08268_z.jpg

Paste this link in url box in picture #2 above, then click OK.

52530768749_26b0b6987b_z.jpg

Click PREVIEW POST or SUBMIT to view or submit the post.

Regards,
hm

Gorgeous pictures from some of PM's most prominent and tenured members. Thanks for being as good with a camera as you guys are at hunting coyotes. It takes us all to your neck of the woods and keeps dreams of traveling West alive. Someday before I go to the beanfield in the sky.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996First you open a dialog box on PM by clicking REPLY or NEW TOPIC.
Click fourth box from left to choose where you wish the picture to be placed:

52531035283_b78909071d_z.jpg

In this case I chose NON FLOATING IMAGE

52530491991_56c471c919_z.jpg

Note: Remove the http shown above before pasting your url in above box!

Next, open Flikr and click on picture you wish to post.

52531061888_6c9ccdf7b4_z.jpg

Click on OPEN PHOTO PAGE located just under chosen picture. Chosen picture will appear; click the ARROW @ lower right hand corner of screen and choose VIEW ALL SIZES in popup window.

52530028252_9bb9106713_z.jpg

Next choose size of picture you wish to post from list above your picture. In this case, I clicked 320, then right click on your picture and pick COPY PICTURE LINK.

52530496331_1c0ac08268_z.jpg

Paste this link in url box in picture #2 above, then click OK.

52530768749_26b0b6987b_z.jpg

Click PREVIEW POST or SUBMIT to view or submit the post.

Regards,
hm

I'm using a phone so it appears different. I don't see where I can choose a photo size

Last edited:
Back