Pattern Test. Rock Island 20" barrel 12ga 3" mag VR 60 AR

I also tested 4Buck at the rifle range @ 65 yards. I used 1/2" plywood/chip board. To test for penetration. 4Buck punched clean holes through the 1/2" plywood. Pattern was just like(pretty much identical) to the BB pattern in the river.

I've owned a handful of 30-36". Long barreled 12 ga 3" mag factory FC shotguns. I could not believe how tight of pattern this short barreled shotgun shot.

Kirby,
We, meaning you and I specifically, have been over and over the patterning abilities of extremely long barrel fixed choke shotguns vs. a more portable length barrel with screw in chokes before. Welcome to 2022.

For those of you who own the same shotgun I do. Or perhaps can borrow one from someone. See for yourself, 1st hand. How remarkable this short barreled shotgun can shoot tight groups. With the screw in FC tube. I used Rem 3" mag plated BB for the water pattern at 60yards. I used Rem 3" mag buffered 4Buck. For my 65 yard range testing.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARInteresting, I had to look that up on GB. I'm assuming it's pretty reliable?

I can't say how reliable as for function. Because I have not shot a lot with it yet. As for now. It's a keeper.

Ok thanks for the review. Odd timing, just last night I was reading up on the omni 410 upper that fits on a standard ar15 lower, thinking that would be an awesome pest gun for close range night shooting with a thermal on it, talking barn rats, etc. This 12 gauge could be great for coyotes, day or night.

Bought mine a little over $300.00 after taxes. Must've been a promo sale? I will say this. This little shotgun surprised the heck out of me. I never expected such a tight group way out there. Choke tube & all.

Rem 3" mag buffered 4Buck at 65 yards. Piece of 1/2" OSB plywood was 17.75"x 27". 15 hits. 4Buck bored on through. No pellet lodges.
smile.gif

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52522719561_36718f8a87_z.jpg

My aim obviously was a little left of center mass. I believe most of the other pellets were right above the board. As this shotgun/choke. Tends to pattern in a vertical mass.

Last edited:
Personally as for killing coyotes. I doubt I push it beyond 65 yards. I've shot enough shotgun coyotes. To know even at lesser yardage stout hits. You can knock the stuffing out of them. Then immediately see them get to their feet & rocket off. Sometimes a coyote doesn't know it's dead yet. haha

No matter how good lead plated BB shot patterns at 60 to 70 yards it won't be a good coyote load at those ranges.

Around here our coyotes run from 20 lbs to 35 lbs and copper plated or nickel plated lead BB shot just doesn't reliably kill and break down coyotes past 50 yards away.

With KPY Shotshell Ballistics I want 3.70" of gel penetration to reliably kill and breakdown coyotes.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of 20% gel penetration at 46.1 yards away.
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.26" of 20% gel penetration at 60.0 yards away.

Even at 40 nyards away with lead BB shot, quite often it takes more than one shot to completey stop or kill a coyote.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobNo matter how good lead plated BB shot patterns at 60 to 70 yards it won't be a good coyote load at those ranges.

Around here our coyotes run from 20 lbs to 35 lbs and copper plated or nickel plated lead BB shot just doesn't reliably kill and break down coyotes past 50 yards away.

With KPY Shotshell Ballistics I want 3.70" of gel penetration to reliably kill and breakdown coyotes.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of 20% gel penetration at 46.1 yards away.
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.26" of 20% gel penetration at 60.0 yards away.

Even at 40 nyards away with lead BB shot, quite often it takes more than one shot to completey stop or kill a coyote.

I concur. I only used BB for pattern testing only at 60yards. Not for killing coyotes.

However, 4Buck is still a viable shot for the coyotes at 60 yards. Provided a follow up kill shot is capable if needed. I've shot coyotes with high powers in the chest broadside. They still regained their footing & took off. They sometimes can take a severe pounding.

Back