Front Sight Question

TerFisIL

I have a Big Bore 94 in 375 Win. It has the original buckhorn sights. It shoots about 8" high at 50 yards with the rear sight as low as it will go in the bottom notch. The only option is to change the front sight for a taller one. I've removed the front bead sight from it's dovetail. It's marked 31N. I assume it's a .31" high sight. Marble makes several replacement sights in various sizes. From .312 to .570 and many sizes in between. Does anyone know what size I need to bring the group size down to target center?

After all these years as a safe queen with no purpose, Illinois has finally approved certain rifle calibers for use starting Jan 1st, 2023. I'd sure like to put this dandy little lever gun to use after all these years. My dad bought this in 1978 in Missouri and killed one deer with it. It's time for a redo. Thanks for your help in advance.

Math is not one of my strong points, but, .003" on the rear sight of my match rifle (w/34" sight radius) = 1/4" @ 100 yds. (or 1/8" @ 50). 8" (@50 yds) would require 64 moa clicks = .190" If my math is correct! Not real sure how much your shorter barrel will alter those numbers.

I had an M1 carbine with the same problem @ 100 yds. Didn't want to permanently alter it but needed to let some kids shoot it in a 100 yard match. Built up the front sight with JB weld and filed it down for a 100 yd. zero for that match then removed to restore to original after the match. You could "check my math" with a dab of JB weld.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

I ran into the same problem with a 700 ADL that I bought used, a gunsmith told me there is a mathematical way to figure out which height front sight is needed, but he just pressed a different height sight in and said try that, now it was the exact opposite, I went back, and he put the middle height sight on which solved the problem.

Here’s another idea, besides the traditional hold with the iron sights, does a different ‘hold’ help? I have a few older milsurp rifles, with some one can run out of adjustment with certain ammo at various(shorter) ranges.

One in particular requires a very fine bead with the front sight, right in the bottom of the rear notch, barely visible. Now if one goes this route, it’s not good to switch around right before the hunt. It could be easy to forget the sight picture required of that rifle. It’s kinda like some pistol sights(H&K), some may require the sight covering the target, others have the bull above the front sight.

Just an idea if a different sight picture is an option.

Guys, thanks for all the good input. I did contact the Marble company and received an answer right away. "It’s about .030” per 6” at 100yds.
I would try a .450” high sight.
Troy"

I took his advice and ordered a .450 high sight from Midway. And as some have suggested, I need to shoot the thing at 100 to see where it groups. That's about what I was going to limit my deer hunting range to, 100 yards. I don't want to modify this rifle by drilling and tapping, keeping it all original. It's an original top eject so a scope won't work anyway. The Williams company made a peep sight for that model but it's discontinued.

My dad tells me it was almost too much rifle for the smaller deer in his part of MO. (Lake of the Ozarks). On the one he did kill with it, It left a huge exit hole. Here in NW Illinois, the deer can run pretty big so I'm hoping to see for myself.

I'm not familiar with the 375 at all but with a 200 grain bullet I would think its gonna drop considerably at 100yds compared to 50 yds. This is why I suggested shooting it at 100yds before changing the sight. You may just need a different sight picture at 50 and still be good to go at 100yds.

I was able to buy some Sierra 200 gr. .375 flat point bullets from Midway when on a rare occasion they had some in stock. I'll load some up tomorrow using Sierra data. Their accuracy load is 37.8 grains of Reloader-7 for a published velocity of 2200 fps and 2149 ft. lbs. of energy. The new taller sight should be here today or tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get to the range on Sunday.
Sectional Density 0.203
Ballistic Coefficients and Velocity Ranges
.195 @ 2100 fps and above .212 between 2100 and 1750 fps .232 between 1750 and 1400 fps .248 @ 1400 fps and below

I'll report on the results soon after. I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

I know with hand loading you can adjust your loading / bullet speed but I'm not sure how much your point of impact will change at 50 yards. I know I did it for a 1911 that was shooting high. Hopefully it all works out.

Quick update, the new front sight needs to be fitted by a person more qualified than I am so until that happens, I'm at a standstill. I have a local gunsmith in mind. Stay tuned.

Back