Coyote behavior

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Yesterday was the third time I've had coyote launch themselves and fly 4-5 feet off the ground and grab decoys out the top of a bush. It is fun to see, much like a dog catching a frisbee on the fly. I've been doing my part to eliminate this as we've so far killed everyone that has grabbed a decoy. One didn't get shot until he was a couple hundred yards away. He was the one that hung onto the decoy for a while, I had to do a grid search over his escape route to find it.

I've had two coyotes jump up in a bush and grab the caller and pull it down. They've succeeded at this better with one escaping.

One tactic I saw again yesterday that seems to be happening more, I think it is the cover I hunt. Is one coyote circling down wind of the caller/decoy a hundred yards or more and the second charging out of the brush almost straight downwind after sneaking in on the caller. It really looks like the downwind coyote is the blocker and the charger is the catcher. If the charger misses the pray it is going to be running down wind straight to the blocker without having its nose to help know of the danger. It is interest when it happens as I'm focused on the one I can see in the distance and have one rush out of the cover nearly at my side. So far every time it has happened I've had the scope cranked up waiting for a shot at the blocker and haven't got the one charging in close.

Another is that coyotes will almost always use any cover they can to approach the caller. Rarely will a coyote come straight across an opening but follow the edge or stay inside the cover to get as close as they can before coming out. I hunt these large openings in the Mesquite quite often and will see a coyote cross at the far end and the have to wait until the work their way into the caller just exposing themselves at the last minute when they are close as they can get to the caller.

My stand is the brush closest to where I'm taking the picture from watching the grass meadow beyond and my caller is about 30 yards out into the meadow. It is nerve wracking to know they are coming but you don' know where they are going to break cover and it is going to be fast and furious when they do.

bQvgWF.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. I was on a stand 2 weeks ago and had set up to call from thick cover. Had no response for over 30 minutes so set the caller on crow distress and got immediate response from crows. Took two with my 223 and decided I would see what would happen if I tied the crow above the ground at about 6 ft. I intended to return next day to check the scene but Covid got me. I plan on going back soon just to read the sign.

I'd Love to see a Coyote jump up at my Caller....sounds like You have had some thrilling Hunts!You need to pack a Shotgun with You and Your Rifle.A Henry Mares Leg in say the .410 would be a Cool Close Range Gun!

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of combo guns for the right terrain, I keep them for the thicker stuff where a majority of your shots are in close with just a chance for a longer shot.

16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer
mF8Jow.jpg

Last edited:
AWS< I should have stopped and asked you to come with that combo gun on my last attempt. Had the rush you talk about, one charged right at the caller, saw my brother, turned towards me and when I turned to make a shot, he fogged straight out of there. I went ahead and took a running shot at about 40 yards, but of course missed. What a rush. I imagine the particular coyote was really yukking it up the next morning at coyote coffee with his buds.

Back