Almost.....wolf kill..

Jim Byers

Been getting after wolves every chance I get. But my job keeps me busy 4 days a week... so being in the right drainage on the right day is tough...I'm used to being a day behind it seems.

Until Saturday.. we leave the truck at first light..temp-- negative 8...we had seen day old tracks here 2 weeks ago.

Half mile in we see tracks.. but they have heavy frost in them. I think we are a good ways behind yet. We hike another mile steady on them.. snow is squeaky and pretty loud...

Suddenly 300 yards above us a wolf starts barking... the same tempo and cadence that coyotes do when they've seen you.. the whole pack erupts in the loudest chorus I've ever heard in the wild.. I count 6 voices..

My son and I shed packs and set up. I carry a hand call, generic rabbit with me always. I give a series. They blow up with howls. A few that are to our left starr down the hill but the presumably alpha barks again and they hold up at his elevation. We can see 200 yards well. They're at 250. Steep uphill.. I know they ain't coming, so I do my best howl I can with my voice.. we are being constantly serenaded.. 2 now are giving the same. Screw you barks.. that's what I can it.. a few minutes pass with constant vocals.

I make the decision, they ain't coming I need to push forward to try and get a shot. I move easy up the hill 30 yards and start seeing flashes of movement thru the trees.

I pause... kneeling...rifle on the sticks.. things are quieting down except the one who started it all. He's still barking and is moving to the right, I catch a glimpse and his head appears in a tiny gap in the trees...200 yards.. limbs lightly obscure his chest, but I roled the dice and went for the biggest target. BOOM! I watch him and another skidadlle to the right as the others head off left. A minute later they are howling to each other from their positions 1000 yards plus farther up. All goes quiet.... I know my shot didn't connect.. but we climb the hill just to see... tracks confirm my suspicion.

Been replaying this whole scenario thru my head over and over.. what should I have done differently??

Takes a ton of effort just to get as close as you did. You were very close and if you keep after them, it will be your turn. They won this round but so did you. Many hunters never get to hear a wolf up close. It's one of those deals that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.
Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck in the episode.

Cool experience, thanks for sharing! I don't know squat about wolf hunting so wouldn't attempt to give advice about how to handle that. Hope you have better luck next time.

Jim i wished I had the answers but I don't, the one thing that I would have done differently is probably waited 10 minutes or so before I called to let them settle down first, other than that really no right or wrong answer.

I've chased wolves in Montana for many winters now and I've yet to kill one. I'm actually going next month for a few weeks so we will see how it shakes out!

Originally Posted By: weekenderTakes a ton of effort just to get as close as you did. You were very close and if you keep after them, it will be your turn. They won this round but so did you. Many hunters never get to hear a wolf up close. It's one of those deals that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.
Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck in the episode.

What WE said....

Was up in the Yaak MT a couple weeks ago. Hiking trails and roads up about a mile from the Canadian border. Came across fresh tracks of a pack of 5 or 6 wolves and followed them for about 2 miles but never saw or heard them.

Somehow though, I got the feeling they were watching me and my movements but never got a glimpse of them.

Just getting that close to them is quite the experience you had

Good luck and hope you connect on one soon.

Originally Posted By: Kino MJim i wished I had the answers but I don't, the one thing that I would have done differently is probably waited 10 minutes or so before I called to let them settle down first, other than that really no right or wrong answer.

I've chased wolves in Montana for many winters now and I've yet to kill one. I'm actually going next month for a few weeks so we will see how it shakes out!

I'm with Kino...no right or wrong answer. Sometimes it just comes down to luck and perseverance.

I've been chasing them for 21 years straight (one week at a time) now. Heard them howling several times and tracked them maybe 3-4 times. They are smart and tougher than me, but I'll keep trying as long as I am able.

Never hunted wolves.
Have administered a lead pill to a coyote or two.
Fellow that got me into calling coyotes always told me when calling, you either killem or educate them.
Can’t help but think you may have educated a couple.
Next time, I would mix up the cadence and maybe have a couple of different calls.

Good luck to ya a d look forward to your success a d pictures;-)

Crapshoot had the correct answer - don't miss!

But, since you did, nothing I got to offer to do differently. I know you were listening hard for that distinctive crack of a head shot. Wish you'd have got to hear it.

- DAA

I appreciate the replies..Our hound lion season is fast approaching... you bet your butt I'll keep my wolf kit with me as we hunt for lion tracks... the dogs are gonna have to be patient with me this winter, cause when good wolf sign is found. They're gonna have to rest in the box for awhile..

I got 4 days off coming up.. wolves are my priority..

Originally Posted By: Jim Byers What part of Montana?

Jim my girlfriend lived in Whitefish for 22 years. I've hunted a lot for wolves basically from Libby back to Whitefish, Kalispell to Eureka. Lots of time in the tobacco Valley which actually has a lot of lions. I've been through the Yaak riding adventure bikes and hiking.

I do most of my coyote hunting on the highline essentially from anywhere from Havre back west to Blackfeet res. depending on the numbers I try to get into.

Back