85 grain bullet for a 6.5 Grendel

Those 85's had the bc not much better than a round nose lol. The 90's or 95 vmax would catch them pretty quickly.

But imo, there would be a market for an 80 gr vmax or something like that. Just based on what I read on LRH, you can really get some speed out of those light Hammers if you want to spend the money on a premium bullet.

I bought a few boxes of 85gr Sierras but don't think I ever loaded any yet.

Discontinued?

Well crap.

I do have good loads with 95gr VMax though, I just thought I'd see how the 85's shot.

Well crap.

Kinda hate to use some up to work up a load & then not be able to get any more.

Well crap.

I also have some .264 85gr. Sierra HP bullets for the 6.5 Rem. Mag's that I have, I had planned to load some for groundhogs but never got around to it.
That "well crap" is becoming way too familiar anymore Stu!

I have a pretty good load for 95's and 120's. I just wanted something different to play with and the velocity he was getting sounded good. "Well crap" here as well.

I'm torn. I have 4 boxes that I know of.

I could shoot them but it's be just for fun, or I could sell or trade them to someone who has a load & just needs more to be able to keep using it

When Sierra was closing out the 85 HP I bought around 1000 of them for $25/100, shipped. Heck of a deal. Bad BC but fast, and explosive, and accurate. They load good in the Grendel. I have shot lots of coyotes and lots of pigs with them. Really good on coyotes, a little soft on big pigs but still work OK. A really good night/thermal bullet IMO. Too bad they dropped it.

The 85 HP loads good in the Grendel too. I like the 90 TNT as well, but, due to ogive length and magazine length restrictions it is a little tricky loading it in the Grendel. There is a very narrow OAL that works and that is about it. It is not quite as soft as the 85, still opens great on coyotes but better on pigs. And I am a fan of the 95 VMAX in the Grendel as well. It works good all around. Those are the 3 bullets I use all the time in both of my Grendels for night work.

I also have a pretty good load with the 95 grain V-max. It shoots almost as good as the 85 grain Sierra did. The Sierra will just stack on top of each other at 100yds. The 95's hover around 1/2-3/4, sometimes better. Still plenty good enough to whack stuff with. I'm really liking my little Howa and the 6.5 Grendel round.

I've been shooting the 90gr Nosler Varmageddon Tipped in my Grendel (22" Howa) - 2800 fps is my load with IMR 4198

The BC is .344 , which is a good bit higher than the .244 Sierra claimed for the 85gr JHP. The Speer 90gr TnT is .300, according to retained velocity downrange measured via my LabRadar doppler

I've been waiting patiently for the 105gr Sierra Blitzking..ordered a 500ct box two years ago. BC is claimed to be .425

If I manage to find some of the 90gr Noslers I'll give them a try. Right now it seems no one has them, but it's not an urgent thing. Just curious to see how my rifle likes them

Back