Got 3 yesterday, but it's not as easy as it was in the past.

derbyacresbob

The first coyote I got yesterday I was sitting next to a big bush with my shotgun on a steep bank in a canyon bottom. I had my foxpro on the ranch road in the canyon bottom and I was about 25 ft up the 40 foot tall bank.

I started out using Adult Rat Distress and after about 5 minutes I switched to Bay Bee Cottontail. Anout 5 minutes later I switched to Jack Rabbit Distress on full volume.

A few minutes later I heard a coyote just above me huffing. These huffs were not loud and I knew the coyote was right above me on top of the steep bank I was sitting on.

I got up and was trying to climb the steep bank and I wasn't doing a very good job of it. When I got close to the top of the bank I saw the coyote's head looking right at me about 15 feet away. As soon as I got my shotgun pointed at the coyote's head, the coyote ducked down and disapeared.

So I took off as quick as I could to climb the last 8 feet or so of the steep bank. When I got to the top of the bank I could see the coyote running straight away up the hill so I shot him at about 45 to 50 yards away.

The 3" 1-1/2 oz load of TSS #2 shot instantly dropped the coyote but it was trying to get up so I shot it again and it was down and dead.
IMG_1148 by [/url], on Flickr

It was a very big male coyote for around here. This wa the 4th coyote that I can remember getting at this location and all 4 of those coyotes came in from different directions.

A few stands later I was using my 243 Win and had a coyote that wouldn't stop ran right up to and around my Foxpro and head back out. The coyote wasn't in a hurry so I didn't shoot at it while it was running. When It got to about 200 yards out, it stopped and looked back.

My 243 Win with a Nosler 55 gr Lead Free bullet put the coyote down.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/R8i9q2407B t=_blank]IMG_1156 by [/url], on Flickr
This was a big female coyote.

3 or 4 stands later I had a coyote run up to about 20 yards from my Foxpro and then turn to my right so I dropped it with my shotgun using a 3" 1-1/2 oz load of TSS #3 shot.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/T0i65ZQ663 t=_blank]IMG_1166 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

I had a good time but climbing these hills is not nearly as easy as it was just two years ago.

Great day. I understand it getting harder, I've spent the last three days building a trailer for my canoe as I am really struggling to get it up on the top of the van.

Last edited:
My calling stands are getting longer and longer because I don't want to walk back to my truck!
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI had a good time but climbing these hills is not nearly as easy as it was just two years ago.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobMy calling stands are getting longer and longer because I don't want to walk back to my truck!
rolleyes.gif

Yep, sure thought old age would take a lot longer to get here!
frown.gif

Good job, great pics, Bob.

Regards,
hm

Nicely done as usual Bob! Always good to see you getting out amongst 'em and shotgunning 'em.

- DAA

Coyotes meet Bob, coyotes die. At least they are remembered, sometimes in the last seconds of life and almost always after death in AWESOME pics. Thanks Bob.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotgettin er done. love the tss shot! nice coyotes. how old are you bob?

I will be 70 in 25 days, I can't wait!
tongue.gif

With my knee issues, getting up the last 8 feet would give the coyote enough time to get to the next county.

Always love your pictures!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotgettin er done. love the tss shot! nice coyotes. how old are you bob?

I will be 70 in 25 days, I can't wait!
tongue.gif

i'm right behind you. like 3 months behind you. you old fart.

Back