Remember When?

hm1996

Staff member
Cleaning out some old files today and came across this old 2000 catalog...and the amazing thing was they were always in stock! Note prices included shipping and hazmat!
w00t.gif

52509138813_9c22d82db5_c.jpg

Used to buy primers in 5000 lots; 8# jugs of IMR & Hodgdon powders were right at $100/jug from a vendor at the state matches. Our gun club got 168 grain .308 SMK's for about $17.00c and 190 gr. were $19.00c from Graff & Sons drop shipped from Sierra ppd w/minimum purchase of about $350. I figured it cost me about 30-34 cents/round to load match grade ammo back in the day.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
We need a time machine.
I do think prices will come down some. They won't be as low as before COVID but everything is starting to get caught up and more manufacturers are entering the game. The longer things sit on the shelves the lower prices will go.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI can remember when a dollar would buy a pack of smokes and a little gas. Dang I hate getting old.

Well, if ya wanna go back that far,
39606345331_43c264248f_z.jpg

grin.gif

Regards,
hm

yea I remember 3 gallons of gas for just shy of a buck in stead 3/10 of a gallon for a buck.

Powder around 4.00lb, primers .65 a flat, 25lbs lead shot around 5.00, brick of 22rimfire

4.99 on sale at K-Mart.

This was when I was in High school.

I bought bulk powder from our family sporting good store weight out on a scale in a brown

paper sack for 2.00lb if I recall correctly.

good old days huh

I recall buying 5000 primers, shipping & hazmat, total delivered about $60. An 8 lb can of powder with shipping & hazmat would come to about $140 or so. I could load 9mm, JHP, box of 50 for about $4.00

I have some Varget I bought in 1997, about 1/3 lb left. Price tag on it is $17.95

No longer, le sigh

I just bought a brick of 41 primers for $118. I ask the girl at the counter if she would get a pistol out of the counter and point it at me and I would raise my hands in the air while I paid for them so the transaction would look like exactly what it was! The brick I bought 2 1/2 years ago was marked $45 and I thought that was high. She said we have no control over prices, do you want them or not. BTW 400 primers were $90 & BR4's were $160. What do you do? Smile and pay up.

Little did I know it was a blessing in disguise when I was forced to give up competition due to arthritis in '99 (even though I didn't think so at the time). As it turns out, I had 16# of H450 and 24# of H4895 + well over 5000 Fed 210's & ample other powders/primers, not to mention a good supply of bullets & other components on hand.

Due to drastic reduction in consumption + good inventory of components, just opened my last jug of 4895 and still have 10# or so of H450. Guess every cloud has a silver lining.

Regards,
hm

Remember the gas wars of the '60's? Greeley, CO, high octane was 19.9
during one of the gas wars. My Buick with 350 loved it! Just imagine
five gallons for just under a dollar!

Remember VV powders coming in 2# jugs? In early 2000's I got N110 and
N120 jugs for $32. Isn't that about half of what one pound cans go for
now?

Not even going to what food prices were under Trump 2019! Too
infuriating.

Thanks Joe, thanks Fauci....you've done a fantastic job of putting the
screws to the whole country.

I know a lot started earlier than I did, but I have been at it for a while. I first started reloading & learning the basics in the mid 80's. A friend bought a Hornady single stage press & other tools & supplies needed.

He loaded 270 for his rifle & since mine was a 30-06, he bought dies & bullets for it. I had brass as I'd been keeping it for a while as I shot Remington factory ammo up. We worked up accurate loads for both rifles, loads that killed a lot of deer. Great fun.

It was a few years later before I could afford to tool up on my own. Clinton winning the 92 election was my trip wire. I'd already been planning what I wanted to start with (a Dillon RL550B) and my first calibers (30-06, 357 & 44 mag), so I dove in head first.

It's been quite a ride over the years as the politics have ebbed & flowed, but I have to say it's never hit us as hard as the current perfect storm has.

Quote:Remember the gas wars of the '60's? Greeley, CO, high octane was 19.9

Remember the 19 cent gasoline well. At that time, had a 52, 6 cylinder Chrysler that got in the neighborhood of 20mpg on the hwy as I recall.

Also remember the 56 Buick Century station wagon w/350 V8 I got mid 60's that passed everything but a gas station. I'd rather forget the price of gasoline by then, but it was no where near Brandon's price today!

Regards,
hm

Back