Hunting with tripod

trapperuss

For you people that hunt with tripods how do you carry them and your rifle? Do you keep them attached or separate? I have a big with a ball head and arcs rail on gun. Currently I detach while moving and attach while on stand but was wondering if there was a way to carry them attached. Pics would be great.

I walk in with my rifle attached to the ball head. I see coyotes in the field when we are walking in often enough that I prefer to be ready without fiddling with mounting the rifle when I am looking at a coyote.
I use a RRS Anvil 30 and a RRS BH55. Both of these ball heads accept either a picatinny rail or Arca Swiss. Both heads use a lever clamp. They are very secure.
One tip that I will pass on is to keep the pan lock on the ball head loose enough that the rifle can swivel while you are carrying it. Otherwise a heavy rifle can unscrew the ball head a little bit if it swivels counter clockwise. If that happens the ball head will be wobbly on the tripod. The Avil 30 has several screws that mount it rather that 1 screw so loosening up is not an issue with the Anvil.

Photos of the Anvil 30 and BH55;
iTU498r.jpg

z7yH3uC.jpg

I detach every time and store it in the scabbard of my Eberlestock pack for walking in & out.

I'm scared to death of losing zero on the thermal, so I treat it with kid gloves, and carry the gun in a huge hard case with 3" of foam top and bottom in the truck bed.

Everything is in my seat pack combo, rifle on shoulder, tripod in left hand. At night scanner is in right hand, I sit so tripod is not extended.

Trky how do you carry the rifle and tripod together? Over your shoulder, out in front of you,etc we walk I on them often too and I would like to have the gun attached to bulkhead if possible tripod legs extended

Originally Posted By: trapperussSo legs are hanging straight down in front of your body I assume? I will try it out when I get home in the morning thanks

Yes legs extended to your height and in front of your body, rifle will be over your shoulder with the muzzle pointed forward. One hand to hold the tripod, other hand holding your scanner.

Back