Bering Thermals Cutting Through Humidity: KC Ep.57

Kirsch

The humidity was 100% during this entire night. There was a thunderstorm looming all night long, and I was able to stay on the edge of it for most of the night as I was checking the radar between every stand. I pushed it one stand too long as it started raining heavily during the last stand. The Super Yoter's image was impacted but nothing like most thermals I have used. Considering the conditions, it did an amazing job.

I don’t know how you guys can deal with that kind of Humidity..

That was some fantastic shooting.. Thanks for posting the video up..

Thanks. I have only owned and looked through 3 themals all being Bering. Compared to the vids on here l see none better (@ this $) in humidity.

... Korey, congratulations! Beautiful video in bad environmental conditions ... You write 100% humidity ... but there was only a strong haze ... or dense fog? Second question of a more technical nature ... I read about the characteristics that the Bering Optics Super Yoter has F50 / 1.0 lens ... instead about the characteristics of my equivalent Infiray Saim SCH50 I read F50 / 1.1 ... So it seems that the SY has a lens larger in diameter than my Saim. The surface of the lens is 21% larger and therefore captures more light and thermal information .... In my opinion, in these extreme conditions, this makes a difference ...

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpYes, I'd say considering the weather conditions Bering was phenomenal. Thanks for posting! I know the last coyote looked terrible. It was mainly because it was out of focus. It was impacted by the humidity and rain, but the image would still have been good if I had focused.

Originally Posted By: carvercallsI don’t know how you guys can deal with that kind of Humidity.. That was some fantastic shooting.. Thanks for posting the video up.. We have fairly dry days but very humid nights especially in the colder months.

Originally Posted By: jmeddyThanks. I have only owned and looked through 3 themals all being Bering. Compared to the vids on here l see none better (@ this $) in humidity. Many people have said I am just a Bering fanboy and the humidity impacts all thermals the same. I have used most thermal brands on the market. I haven't used Nvision yet, but hope to demo one soon but have used Trijicon so have used the BAE core. Yes, all thermals are impacted by humidity, rain, fog, etc but Bering thermals are impacted the least of any brand I have used. This, of course, is in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49... Korey, congratulations! Beautiful video in bad environmental conditions ... You write 100% humidity ... but there was only a strong haze ... or dense fog? The haze is the result of the high humidity and light rain. The thermal was impacted but still allowed me to hunt.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49 Second question of a more technical nature ... I read about the characteristics that the Bering Optics Super Yoter has F50 / 1.0 lens ... instead about the characteristics of my equivalent Infiray Saim SCH50 I read F50 / 1.1 ... So it seems that the SY has a lens larger in diameter than my Saim. The surface of the lens is 21% larger and therefore captures more light and thermal information .... In my opinion, in these extreme conditions, this makes a difference ... I would agree that a larger lens can help in extreme conditions. A F50/1.1 lens ends up with a diameter around 45mm so it is just a little smaller on your Saim in comparison to 50mm on the SY. They both have the iRay sensor, so both should do very well in humidity.

Now you're just showing off! lol That 280 yard shot is a long one at night.

I missed a 40 yard shot last night (lol) but redeemed myself with a 50ish yard shot.

Even at that I couldn't find him as he tumbled while kicking around into deep ravine.

Nice shooting as always.

Originally Posted By: SoftpointNow you're just showing off! lol That 280 yard shot is a long one at night.

I missed a 40 yard shot last night (lol) but redeemed myself with a 50ish yard shot.

Even at that I couldn't find him as he tumbled while kicking around into deep ravine.

Nice shooting as always.
Thank you. Higher base mag and PIP help make the longer shots.

A better scope and some trigger time on the tripod wouldn't hurt either.

With the Apex XQ 38 things are pretty blurred at 300 yards with any humidity.

are the super yoters first focal plane scopes ?

if i sight in at the highest magnification will it still be zeroed on the lower setting ?

excellent video, i like those thermals

Originally Posted By: bohunrare the super yoters first focal plane scopes ? It is actually both. The Super Yoter has 4 FFP reticles and 4 SFP reticles, so you choose what you want to use.

Originally Posted By: bohunrif i sight in at the highest magnification will it still be zeroed on the lower setting ? Bering used to include in their manuals to only zero on base magnification. It shouldn't be an issue with their new scopes like the Super Yoter. I personally zero my scope at the highest magnification level that I shoot which is 2x digital zoom (6 power).

Originally Posted By: bohunrexcellent video, i like those thermals I love my Super Yoter.

thanks for the info and fast reply. how do i tell which reticles are ffp and which ones are sfp

is it in the manual

Last edited:
Pretty easy to tell since SFP style reticles stay the same size as you digitally zoom and FFP grow to keep the spacing the same.

Reticle Catalog

I included the reticle catalog which shows the common reticles for the Vibe, Super Hogster, and Yoters. The measurements vary but the reticles are the same. I believe the first 4 are SFP and the last 4 with all the BDC style and subtensions are FFP. There will most likely be some changes to the reticles in the LRF version to be released in the next few months.

I thought on the last one, "Man that is soupy out there" until you updated with it being out of focus.

Regardless, didn't slow you up any.

Originally Posted By: alfI thought on the last one, "Man that is soupy out there" until you updated with it being out of focus.

Regardless, didn't slow you up any. The image blurriness is about 20% due to high humidity and about 80% focus. I was setup in a position where I didn't have anything to focus on. By the time the coyotes were close, I didn't think I could afford to take the time or movement to clear up the image.

Back