.223/5.56 barrel recommendations

I have an 18" faxon barrel I'm looking to replace. I can't get it to shoot better than 1.5" and most of the time closer to 2". I've had it for a few years and didn't really care to begin with due to what it was for, but now I've been bitten by the accuracy bug with it and would like under 1 moa.
I'd like to hear your recommendations for a decent barrel at a decent price. I know there are barrels from under $100 to probably close to a grand. I'd like to keep it under $300 and under $200 would be better. 16-18" and fairly light weight is also a requirement. Thanks

Last edited:
I have the same barrel that Adam T linked in his response. Mine shoots phenomenally good. Quarter inch, three shot groups at 100 yards are ordinary with 68 grain Hornadys and Varget or 73 grain eld-m's with Reloder 15.

Are you thinking Wylde or 5.56?

I have one Wydle from Rainier Arms. The rest of my .224 calibers are 5.56 NATO.

The RMC barrel is short throated. I presume due to poor quality control. Several bullets loaded to SAMI lengths will be jamming the lands bad. Ironically.... All the bullets that just flat out don't shoot in my accurate 5.56 NATO chambers, shoot awesome in the RMC barrel.

I absolutely can't get Nosler E-Tips or Speer Gold Dots to shoot in the NATO chambers... The 223 RMC shoots both awesome!

16 inch barrel/mid gas shoots Nos E-Tips right at MOA at 200 yards with 24.8gr of Benchmark at 2875fps.

Same barrel shoots Speer 62 grain Gold Dots into less than MOA at 200 yards with 24.3-24.4 grains of AR-Comp/CCI #41 at 2900fps.

The Sierra #1390 will shoot any any NATO chamber well. Before you give up, try that one with any powder that is reasonable. If that one does not shoot....

Maybe it is a scope, gas tube alignment, barrel nut tension, copper foul/carbon foul, bent/tweaked expander ball or some other mystery.

I have two barrels that would not shoot all the finest the industry has to offer. AA2015 or W748 mixed with #1390 and BOOM.... .6 MOA all day... [beeep]!!!

I've looked at WOA and may go that route. I know a lot of people love them.
The Rainier Arms barrel looks great but kind of heavy. I'd like to keep it relatively light weight.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchAre you thinking Wylde or 5.56?

I have one Wydle from Rainier Arms. The rest of my .224 calibers are 5.56 NATO.

The RMC barrel is short throated. I presume due to poor quality control. Several bullets loaded to SAMI lengths will be jamming the lands bad. Ironically.... All the bullets that just flat out don't shoot in my accurate 5.56 NATO chambers, shoot awesome in the RMC barrel.

I absolutely can't get Nosler E-Tips or Speer Gold Dots to shoot in the NATO chambers... The 223 RMC shoots both awesome!

16 inch barrel/mid gas shoots Nos E-Tips right at MOA at 200 yards with 24.8gr of Benchmark at 2875fps.

Same barrel shoots Speer 62 grain Gold Dots into less than MOA at 200 yards with 24.3-24.4 grains of AR-Comp/CCI #41 at 2900fps.

The Sierra #1390 will shoot any any NATO chamber well. Before you give up, try that one with any powder that is reasonable. If that one does not shoot....

Maybe it is a scope, gas tube alignment, barrel nut tension, copper foul/carbon foul, bent/tweaked expander ball or some other mystery.

I have two barrels that would not shoot all the finest the industry has to offer. AA2015 or W748 mixed with #1390 and BOOM.... .6 MOA all day... [beeep]!!!

I'd take Wylde or 5.56.

I've always felt Ballistic tips with Benchmark were about as accurate as you could get. Speer 50 gr HPs are also great. I couldn't get this barrel to shoot MOA with anything. Best I could get was 1 1/4" but it wasn't consistent.

Another thing I think about is even if I find that 1 accurate load with that 1 bullet, I don't really want a barrel that only shoots 1 load. I know 1.5-2 MOA isn't that bad but it feels like it when you have a few other rifles that will shoot 1/2-1" pretty consistent.

If I had another 5.56 or .223 AR that was really accurate I would probably be ok with it. This is my only 223/5.56 AR I have left. I've converted or sold the others.

Last edited:
Good advice on the WOA. If you wanted to try Wilson Combat they have a few on sale for $200.00. Downside is they use a .875" gas block. I ordered one anyhow as I've an old rifle laying around that needs a rebuild. Good luck.

Back