Extreme pressure for bullet pulling.

arlaunch

Starline .270 Win brass 2X fired.

Found what i believe is a max charge. I had 12 more loaded up with higher charges.

I opted to take the 12 home and pull them instead of continuing on with load development.

I use the RCBS collet tool for bullet pulling in my Rockchucker press.

I have pulled many, many bullets and with ease. But this was my 1st go with .270 and of course the Starline brass

Both arms with muscles flexed and a grunt is was it took to get the bullets out.

FL sized necks measure .302 and with the bullets seated measure .304

I am also having a hard time getting consistent shoulder bump numbers. Not sure if this is related or not?

1st suggestion is to get into annealing.

Not sure what your brass prep regimen is, but I never touch the inside of the necks, that carbon is your friend.

Try seating your bullets another 5-10 thousands, then pull them. That works for rounds that have been loaded for a while, not sure how relevant it is for those only seated a day or so.

Sounds like you may have inadvertently crimped them. How hard did they seat? Carbon or other dry lube is needed for shiny inside necks, you will feel the difference when seating. As is chamfering and deburring new or trimmed brass.

Odd indeed,

I seated them with a chamber type seating die from L.E. Wilson on an arbor press. They seated hard because they where very compressed.

My plan is to spray a bit of 1 shot on a Q-tip, and wipe the inside of the case mouth prior to seating.

Good point on annealing.

New or annealed brass grips the bullet even more than work hardened/multi fired brass does.

I found a pile of Federal brass in the depths of my dads garage a while back. I may pull that out and do a side by side comparison.

It is the Starline brass....

Love the company for bringing back old straight wall cartridges such as the 45-90 and such. I shoot a lot of their pistol brass with results similar to other brands.

But i am finished with their rifle bottle neck cartridges until they get better.

.308 and .270 brass Win brass feels like a steel case that is spray painted gold in the sizing die.

Back