Feed Problem Help

1750Shooter

Built an AR in 6.5 Grendel for coyotes. Rifle shoots great, it just won’t feed. Bolt strips round & jams it into the receiver below the barrel. I tried adjusting the feed lips to tip the round up a bit, but no go. I’m using 6.5 Grendel mags from Alexander Arms. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks.

If I'm visualizing it right it sounds like a squared off ejector pin is catching the head of the case. Those larger diameter rounds tip into the bolt face just right for the top of the head of the case to catch the ejector pin sometimes. It happened to me on one of mine, the fix is rounding off or beveling the end of the pin so the case slides up over it like it should.

I had the same problem with a 6.8 SPC build lately and it was a defective magazine.

I would order a different magazine and you might try different ammo also.

The rounds I had problems with were hollow points that were snagging on the feed ramps because the magazine was sitting too low in the mag well. The magazine also was loose and had misaligned feed ramps. Bad combination.

You might take a look at the barrel feed ramps also to see it there are any burrs there that might be catching the tip of the round.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/accessor...lti=6.5+Grendel

Last edited:
try a different mag before you do anything else.

also what buffer are you running? what length barrel/gas system? you may simply have a bolt speed issue too if you're running a light buffer.

Thanks. It’s a heavy buffer to slow the cycle. 18” barrel & rifle-length gas system. It’s got enough bolt speed, the round just isn’t high enough to enter the chamber. As someone suggested, I’m going to work with the mags.

I had that problem with a 6x6.8 with HPs. I was able to use needle nose pliers to adjust the feedlips. That being said I would buy an ASC mag. I've never had problems with them.

I would consider switching your heavy buffer to a carbine buffer. It will only take a few shots to see if the heavy buffer is causing the issue.

A rifle length gas system is enough in and of itself to cause cycling issues when the gas block is bleeding gas or mis-aligned.

TC

Back