Duck Hunting the SW

AWS

Retired PM Staff
A few pics

This is my third year hunting in the SW and my second year here. Last year I camped in the shade of the trees out in the water. If you can see the red bush in the middle of the lake, I had to pack my decoys out beyond that to puddles, just enough water to float a duck but not a canoe. This was like hunting a whole new area.
XM8VDH.jpg

Again plenty of ducks before light, you could hear them splash down in the decoys and start quacking at the decoys and when they didnt answer you could hear them flush out. Finally it was light enough to tell what I was shooting at, dark duck against the sky is too early for me.
things slowed as it got light but I did get a couple meals for me.
While not a stellar day it was fun. Unlike the PNW where I was usually rained on ALL day, I was able to spend the afternoon lounging on the beach reading a book and watch how the ducks were flying so I can set up better next time.
49KvR6.jpg

Thought you might enjoy something different. Duck hunting is a lot like coyote hunting, you have to convince them to come into range of your shotgun, calling stand/blind selection, wind direction all are important hunting ducks also. You get to eat them too. Tomorrow it is teal breasts fried with chili peppers and onions alongside my eggs..

Back