22 creedmoor vs 6mm creedmoor

swwyocoyote

Hi all,
Trying to decide on my next build and I am torn between the 22 creedmoor and the 6mm creedmoor. My current list of calling guns are 17 remington, 22-250 shooting 55gr bergers and a 6.5 creedmoor. Kind of leaning towards the 6mm but need some input.

Ty

A few years ago I was on the fence between those same two. I knew I wanted a 20 inch barrel build so I went 6CM and I shoot the 70gr Nosler BT's.

I'm sure either will do what you want and you'd be happy with the 22 or 6 Creed.

Originally Posted By: swwyocoyoteHi all,
Trying to decide on my next build and I am torn between the 22 creedmoor and the 6mm creedmoor. My current list of calling guns are 17 remington, 22-250 shooting 55gr bergers and a 6.5 creedmoor. Kind of leaning towards the 6mm but need some input.
As long as you're happy with the build & performance of the 22-250, I'd do the 6mm.

Tougher decision if you wished the 250 was somehow different.....

Thanks for the responses all.

Thinking about the your responses and a little more research, I don't think the 22cm would be much of a gain over the 22-250 for me and I never did get the lighter bullets to shoot well in the 6.5. I am going the 6mm route.

Why not just bypass all those wanna bes that rely on marketing and get that brand new cartridge introduced in 1952, the ole 243 winchester??? More speed, more energy, more components, more factory ammo and unlike the crapmore, it was designed from the beginning for light bullets. Unless you get a custom reamer with smaller freebore and a custom blank like 1/10 vs the standard 6crapmore of 1/8 twist. Then you still don't have the case capacity of the old 243 which is why its the king of stone dead varmint cartridges and has held its own for 70 years....

Short of it is I want to go the creedmoor route. Been shooting the 6.5 for the last 10-12 years and have a pretty good surplus of brass if want or need to neck down. I very rarely shoot factory ammo because I enjoy reloading. Had a 243 since I was a kid and it served me well. Had a decent light bullet load. Looking at this new build, I'm wanting the 80-90 grain range since my 22-250 55gr load fills its roll well.
Ty

I understand having a stockpile of brass and in that case definitely the 6mm.

If I was building a custom 6creed I'd call Manson in Michigan to make a custom reamer, find me a nice cut rifled blank like Kreiger, Brux or Bartlein in 1/10twist and spin it up. Varget will be your friend with the light bullets. Nothing you pick will be fur friendly with that cartridge so I'd try to make it fast and flat with the 55-70grain options.

For whatever reason, the 58vmax has been by far the most available during this shortage, Sierra and Noslers have been really hard to come by, good luck on your build!

Thanks for the info and glad to hear about varget, one of my favorites and have a decent stash of it. Now if we could ever get caught up on primers

May have to make the same decision,think my 22-250 barrel may be toast,will know for sure Tuesday morning.My son has a 22 Creed for his number 1 calling rifle and it has impressed me,but the 6 Creed impresses me too so many decisions

Originally Posted By: Kino MWhy not just bypass all those wanna bes that rely on marketing and get that brand new cartridge introduced in 1952, the ole 243 winchester??? More speed, more energy, more components, more factory ammo and unlike the crapmore, it was designed from the beginning for light bullets. Unless you get a custom reamer with smaller freebore and a custom blank like 1/10 vs the standard 6crapmore of 1/8 twist. Then you still don't have the case capacity of the old 243 which is why its the king of stone dead varmint cartridges and has held its own for 70 years....

This is sound advice!!!

Build what you want! You already have a couple rifles if fur becomes valuable again. The 6mm might be a fun cartridge to fill the gap between the 22-250 and the 6.5. Bullets are reasonable, fly flat and are accurate.

Originally Posted By: alf
The correct rifle looney answer is build one of each.....

This is the correct answer if I could get the accountant (aka wife) to approve the funds
lol.gif

..if you want to shoot 80-90 range then the .243 is really no diff than the 6mm cm....I exclusively shoot the .243 Win 1/ 9-1/8 and my coyote partner shoots the 6mm CM 1/10....I shoot 80s...he shoots 70s......I have over 3000 rounds not including reloads and components....he has trouble finding factory light stuff and JUST loaded the last 100 of his 70s...and now went to 75s. So if your reloading stock is good and can find components in the 80-90 range which there is...you should be good to go.

I have built both, I agree with the idea of building the gun around your components. There is almost no difference between the two. Both of mine are 16.5" barrels, using H4895 and the 60grn bullets in the 22 and 58s in the 6cm, they run nearly identical. I have thousands of cases for the creed so I stock pile bullets for the oncoming years. I will add this [beeep], I recently built a 22GT (had a 6GT built for PRS and never got to use it) the case is smaller than the Creed and real easy to load for, I'm using 34 grains of H4895 and 60vmaxes and stopped at 3500fps in my 18" Bartlein carbon barrel. The groups are incredible. Easier to develope a load for than my creeds were for sure. I wish I had a bunch of 69TMKs for my 22 creed to try..I speculate they would do real decent.

I have both a .22 Creedmoor and a 6mm Creedmoor. For predator, varmint and medium sized game, the 6Creed, with the correct twist, can handle lighter projectiles, up to the 108 grain. The .243 is awesome as well, but I would go with what you want. Also, components are readily available for the 6Creed (Starline always seems to have brass). I would choose the main projectile you want to shoot, then build the barrel around that.

Your 250 will do most of what your 22 Creed will do, You're 6.5 will do most of what your 6 Creed will do. There is some overlap on each, but depending on what you are planning to do and what range will ultimately be the determining factor for the correct cartridge selection.

Back