Grandsons first deer

vahunter

After a few years of bad luck and not being able to hunt as much as he wanted, I promised him I’d take him on opening day of muzzle loader season. At about 8:00 here comes a pit bull and another mutt from the opposite side of my food plot.I was almost ready to declare open season on the pit bull but it was still early. At 8:15 my grandson tapped me on the shoulder and point towards the food plot. A 4 point decide it was time to eat and started feeding. My grandson rested the rifle on the window sill of the Red Neck blind and took the 60 yard shot. At the shot the deer ran off like it wasn’t hit. We looked and no blood in the food plot but I found a drop where he went into the woods. 30 yards further I found a little blood with bubbles in it so I knew the deer couldn’t be far ahead. 25 yards later the deer was down. After seeing the look on his face when he put his hands on the deer I could care less if I pull the trigger this season.

Today these guns are still around, especially in rural areas where they have been replaced with modern firearms. There are different types of muzzle loaders, some are single shot while others are repeating rifles. Single shot muzzle loaders are generally cheaper than repeating ones and require less maintenance. Click Here

Last edited:
Back