Michigans Rimfire Night Requirements

EasternPredHunter

Hello all!

Admittedly I have not coyote hunted much in my life and have heard a lot of stories of them getting shot with 243s to run off and never be found. But I’m very interested in night calling for them and my state regulates our night hunting activities to rimfire’s and shotguns only. With that being said. My father in law has a 17 WSM and seen a handful of videos of coyotes getting shot with them. Seems to be relatively effective but not ideal. And I can say the same for the 22WMR.

My question is, for those of you who are in the same situation as I…what have you found to be more effective? We are already under gunned. But has one been know to be a better performer on coyotes than the other?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not in your state, but if I was limited ? I would go with the 17 and some type of ballistic tip like - HORNADY Rimfire Varmint Express. Its only 17-20 gr but that sucker is moving. Look up the ballistic gel tests on line, pretty devastating. Remember, shot placement is the key. Even more so with a smaller caliber. Hope this helps.

...never had an issue with my .243 killing coyotes.

....sounds like the options are either the 2....keep shots conservative, smart, close and make due with the options. I know many people that have had success with the .22WMR.

My 243 is a hammer ! If I could only have 1 caliber the 243 is it !

No experience with rimfires sorry !

What I will recommend is to contact your state representative & work with them to change the law to allow center fire calibers ! I can say from first hand experience YOU can help make changes ! It takes time & patience but it can be time spent worthwhile !!!

Good luck finding the best round for you !

The 17WSM doesn’t carry much more energy than some of the WMR offerings. I just battle with whether or not it is more important to have a fast flat cartridge that transfers the energy or the heavier wmr that will likely penetrate better. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

I'd go with a .22 mag usig winchester 40 grain HP's or shotgun with #4 buckshot. I know my 3 1/2" using #4 buck with hammer a coyote within a reasonable range.

243s are plenty for coyotes

Depending on where you are and what land is being hunted,we are not limited to rimfire or shotguns only . Centerfire rifles have been legal at night for a while now.

Check the regs..... pg 71

Tim,

According to the MDNR fur harvesters manual. Centerfire is legal at night …on private land… if one wishes to hunt fur on public ground…he is bound to rimfires and shotguns.

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterTim,

According to the MDNR fur harvesters manual. Centerfire is legal at night …on private land… if one wishes to hunt fur on public ground…he is bound to rimfires and shotguns.

You are getting closer..
grin.gif

A centerfire (.269" or smaller) can be used at night on public land ,IF the public land is not in the limited firearm deer zone.

Just a guess at the size,but only about 1/3 of Michigan is in the limited zone.

Back