Brass Catcher

I use the cheap $10 ones that wrap around the handguard with velcro.

Never had any issues, and they fold flat when putting the gun in the case.

s-l1600.jpg

For a hunting style catcher I like the ones reb8600 makes. Even if it doesn't catch the piece of brass, it will just drop straight down from the rifle.

If you are talking a range catcher, just hang a baseball cap over the front half of your scope using the adjustment opening on the back of the hat. Then drape the pocket of the hat over the ejection port (bill/visor down). You can hook the adjustment band over the top turret of the scope to hold it in place. The hat catches the brass and drops it at your feet or it stays in the hat. Like most guys I have lots of old ball caps I don't wear so I keep 1 or 2 in my shooting bag.

The ones that velcro around the hand guard won't work for me as my thermal sits too low for the strap to go around. Best thing i've found is at brassgoat.com, the Brass Goat AR Brass Catcher. Only thing is they don't make one for the AR-10 platform.

Last edited:
83MTbsFl.jpg

iHSdXAVl.jpg

Reb's work great for the small rounds but just get flipped out of the way on the 243 size stuff, so I went off his design to make my own. Some used denim, velcro and a strip of elastic is all it takes. Make a nice sized pouch so cases can eject unencumbered.

crapshoot said:
For a hunting style catcher I like the ones reb8600 makes. Even if it doesn't catch the piece of brass, it will just drop straight down from the rifle. [/quote

i think i got 1 from him before,i didnt know if still made them
ill try and contact him.

Rebs work great for me, i leave the dust cover down over it to hold it in place.
wZlF4l.jpg

It hangs straight down, I knocked it loose pulling it out of the scabbard for the picture and didn't notice it.

Last edited:
Cadwell from midway, best one I ever tried. small, easy to mount, easy to take off, works great.
I don't even notice when it's on. Comes with a little mount that you fit on your rail, slip the catcher on & off the mount when you want.

Originally Posted By: dennydCadwell from midway, best one I ever tried. small, easy to mount, easy to take off, works great.
I don't even notice when it's on. Comes with a little mount that you fit on your rail, slip the catcher on & off the mount when you want.
That's the 1st brass catcher I bought, & worked great. That is until I switched mounts and scopes, and the block would not mount in the correct spot any more. I sold it and switched to all bag/velcro style.

Looks like there's no one size fits all scenario.....

I've tried several for hunting.....

As others have stated, your mount may dictate what you can/can't use. The Caldwell picatinny model is good, but MY mount preference (One Piece) won't let me use it....even if you are using two piece the ring height needs to be high enough to work as well. I then tried the brass goat style. The Brass Goat would be ok on the range, but it is noisy as [beeep], and I quickly removed it.

I keep going back to the cheap $14 dollar Caldwell. It's flexible enough that I don't have to remove it. It's cheap to replace when needed, and just works....not perfect but works.

I agree Brass Goat good but noisy. Actually hangs on the legs of my tripod when rotating for the shot. I use Caldwell picatinny catcher & velcro my thermal battery to it. Can't use nylon mess catchers with my .260 AR10 the brass melts the mesh.

Back