Which is more important to you

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Being able to shoot at a coyote at any reasonable distance or calling them in close.

Personally if I have to take a shot farter than I can hold on fur, I consider it a failed stand and will come back another day and try and get it right. I would rather see them at 10 yard with that "Oh sh-t I screwed up" look on their face. Shooting one across the quarter is about as much fun as punching paper for me.

What are your thoughts?

The last couple times as I sit waiting for a coyote to show, I’ve been thinking what am I doing looking way out there. I have a small rangefinder I’ve been using as double duty and I think u move to much and I would rather be surprised up close. I tend to over think things when I have time and it gets me in trouble. I just want to be the vegetation when I’m sitting there, if I don’t see one way out there, oh well, I won’t know.

At night I want them at under 100 yards. During the day out to 500 yards is doable. I don't shoot unless it is reasonable as coyote season is long and I can always come back.

I want to call them in close, 10 to 30 yards is about perfect.

We have a shotgun on every calling stand that we make.
IMG_0852 - Copy by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/ehr7456k3i t=_blank]IMG_0180 - Copy by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/G6535Yfmah t=_blank]IMG_6277 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/D0XbF8QG5f t=_blank]023 - Copy by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/p44X0mSxxv t=_blank]IMG_8045 - Copy by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
The coyote in the last picture was just hit with a shotgun a fraction of a second before the picture was taken.

I prefer up close...but really take what is presented to me. In the open spaces I call hone, hang ups at considerable distance isn't uncommon.....the rifleman in me likes the challenge of taking a coyote at distance. My furthest is 770..so far..

Calling them in close is more fun, for sure!

Still being able to call 250 on a standing coyote a chip shot is nice too though.

- DAA

BOB!!! Those are some of the coolest photos I've seen!

Regarding the Ops post, I would say it honestly depends. I'm of the mindset, close as possible, when you can fool natures most astute predator, and can claim you did it on your terms, there's quite honestly nothing like it.

But opening up your range, having that capability of multiple options, obviously gives you a lot more venues for success. Especially when you are in high pressure locations, and have Ranchers or Farmers who want them gone any way possible, then it becomes a whole new ballgame IMHO.

For me I like around 200 at night and maybe 450 during the day.

Bob, Those photos are awesome. You have some great timing to capture those.

Jim, 770 is quite a poke. I shoot some long range steel on my place, but never a coyote at that distance. Heckuva great shot.

What caliber were you running?

Maybe a lot due to the terrain I hunt, but I prefer 100-250 yds. Given the time for a standing shot, 350 not out of the question, but prefer to get them closer.

I'm a rifle shooter...feel handicapped with a shotgun, but again, that's just me. Most of the coyotes I call in close are in heavy cover and usually see me about the same time I see them. I find it a lot easier to miss close in rifle shots than a bit farther out, as they are usually running full bore by the time you can see them in heavy cover.

Once in a while, I get to watch one come in on a sendero from way out there, but that is a real luxury in S Tx. brush.

As always, love your pics, Bob!

Regards,
hm

The terrain and cover that I hunt dictates the range will be under 100 yards nearly always. Most of the critters I call are within shotgun range.

I have found the in heavily hunted areas I have more close shots. In heavily hunted areas every coyote hunter looks for that high ground overlooking open areas. Coyotes become wary of exposing themselves during daylight hours. I head down into the thicker stuff and the coyotes come in nearly fearless. I try and tell new hunters I take out that it is easier to call coyotes in the thick cover than trying to call them out of it.

In general, I like to call them close, say inside of 100yds.

If their body language tells me they aren't coming closer, I'll take the first good shot, whether that's 100yds or 400yds.

In close sounds like a blast, but I've taken a shotgun with me only one time and that was because of houses in the area. I love watching them come from a thousand yards but I'll shoot as soon as they give me a shot under 400yds.

Close. I like them close. If they're coming in I'll let them keep coming. Once they're around a 100 I'll start looking for a shot. The closer they get the more chance you'll be shooting at a runner or a flyby. For me, in field conditions sitting on my butt, shooting off sticks, maybe uneven ground or maybe a bit of wind, 300 yards is quite a poke. I've seen way more coyotes missed at 300 yards or more than hit.

Back