BH209

pyscodog

Looks like its on the scarce list now. Seems a lot of people are looking for it. I found three of the old bottles that were 10oz for $74.95. I looked on Hodgdons site and although out of stock, they have lowered the contents to 8 oz and its $77.95 per bottle. Alphamunitions (I think) had 8oz bottles for $49.94 and a 5 lb jug for $300. Seems its going to cost a bunch to shoot your smoke pole this year. I went back to my old faithfull 777 loads in my rifles. Actually never changed, just tried the BH and they didn't like it. They shoot good with 777 and the deer don't know the difference.

I like to shoot, whether rifles, shotguns or handguns, long guns or short.

Due to that, BH209, as good a powder as it is, is more expensive than I am willing to pay.

So, back to 777!

If you got a pound, well its still to expensive. Now the new stuff, if it ever gets here, is only 8 ounces. Poo on that. Triple 7 has always worked for me and its everywhere. If I get a hundred yard shot, that's a long one. I really don't need the extra velocity and cleaning is a PITA with BH or 777 so it really makes me no difference.

Cleaning with Blackhorn is no different than cleaning a firearm that fires modern smokeless powders. I use a little Hoppe's 9, stiff nylon brush, patches and follow up with FP10 for corrosion protection. My muzzleloaders bore shines like a new dime in a billygoats butt.

I saw some at Cabelas and almost snagged it since I knew someone I know would likely need it but decided to hold off and leave it for someone else. Used to see it somewhat frequently come into to SW but it never stuck around

Been to the club the last few days shooting and watching others shoot. Probably 7 people are asking where to get BH 209? When I tell them there is 3 bottles setting on the shelf at the pawn shop but its $74 a bottle they use foul language. But they better get ready cause when it hits the shelves, if it ever does, it gonna be high and smaller quantities.

I have to brag, there was 2 Remingtons and 2 CVA's all shooting BH and my old T/C Omega and 777 out shot all 4 rifles. But the BH cleans easier.

I looked at a dozen bottles of BH209 today priced at $54.98 per container. I didn't think to look at the amount in the bottle, be it 10 or 8 ounces. I was too busy grabbing some H4350!

A store in Tulsa had H4350 and Varget both. I bought a pound of each. Its almost embarrassing to say what I paid but I can use it.

Got 6 - #1 cans of H4350 coming from Powder Valley. Cheaper than MidwayUSA and could buy more .
Now we can shoot more often ,which is never enough as it is...
thumbup.gif

I’m a B209 fan also, I have enough for now. I saw some at Cabela’s 9 months ago, $75 for the 10 oz container. This year I’ll use the knight in IL for the deer hunt. I think I’ll use my 444 Marlin next year with the planned opening deer hunting up to centerfire.

Yes, they have silly restrictions, but I can live with them.

I like BH209 from the standpoint of accuracy and ease of cleanup, but it is pricey. I was getting low last season and had my sister looking for it at Walmart. She worked there part time. She called and said there were 4 of the 10 oz. bottles on the shelf at $37.00 each. I asked for all four and kept one and sold the other 3 at cost to guys who were about out. DOn't know if I will pay the higher price for less, but I am good for several years if I use it wisely. I may go back to genuine black powder rather than use the other subs if I leave BH209.

BH 209 is a great powder. And...a lot of my friends swear by it. But both my rifles, a T/C Omega and a Knight disc rifle both shoot extremely well with 777 and a 250 grain bullet. If they shot as good with 209, I could see using it but they don't. My Omega will cut holes at 100yds if I do my part and the Knight isn't far behind on accuracy. Hard to improve on that and I see no reason to change even if its a little more trouble to clean. I just use what works best for me and spend a little more time cleaning. Its not like I have much better to do. The nicer part of retirement. LOL

I tried BH209 in both my Omega and Traditions Strikerfire and neither one likes it. The Striker fire needs to find another home because I just can't seem to put down the Omega. If anyone in Virginia needs some BH209 I have 3/4 of a bottle I'll give away.

I gave my bottle to my gunsmith buddy. Those Omega's are one fine rifle. T/C screwed the pooch when they stopped making them.

I thought I’d like the Traditions Strikerfire, lightweight, 2.5 pound trigger. I never could shoot it as good as my Omega. Trying to find an Omega for my grandson since he took his first deer with mine.

Back