What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The last bits of fine tuning a 325 grain FTX load for my 1895 Marlin. IMR-4198 is working very well. One more trip to the range will hopefully confirm "the load"

Also on the last bits of fine tuning 175 grain SMK's with IMR 4064 with my Krieger barreled 308.

Scored a 5-pound jug of Reloader 19, one of my favorite powders that I use to reload several cartridges. It cost way more than the last one I bought, but coupled with the partial jug I have on the shelf, I am ready to load enough .257 Roberts, 6.5x55 Swede, .300 WSM, and .338 Win. Mag. to keep using hunting for a while.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI found 500 BR2&4s I forgot packed away in storage, left them on the passenger seat, left my window open and they got rained on good.

ohmy.gif

That could make a guy cry!

I wouldn't trust them for other than plinking, but you might set them out and let 'em dry real good and load a few just to see; they might surprise you.

Not quite the same deal, but sometime in the early '90's @ Camp Bullis, I watched a huge black cloud approaching from the north during my prep period on the 800 yd line when the bottom dropped out. Range control had warned of possibility of large hail and thunderstorms just prior to the arrival of a blue norther. Line officer made decision to hold our relay on the line, hoping the cold front would quickly pass and we could continue.

I always put a shelter half down then my mat, leaving half the shelter half out in case of such events and just rolled the tarp over me to keep as dry as possible. The rain did not let up and when it began to hail, I quickly dumped my ammo block into the saddle bags on my stool, gathered up my gear and proceeded to walk back behind the 1000 yard line to wait it out in the shelter of some trees.

When the front did clear, line officer called my relay back to the line. Knowing I could not get there in time, I scratched the 800 & 900 yd relays, but really was wanting to verify my 1000 yard zero, so fell in on the 1000 yd line when my relay was finally called.

When I began to recover my ammo from bottom of saddle bag I was surprised that water was wrist deep in the bag. Apparently I had not secured the flap and the ammo had been completely submerged for probably an hour and a half or more. I do not seal my primers or bullets and was sure the ammo would be compromised, especially since the temperature had dropped probably 20* or more w/frontal passage and would possibly create a vacuum in the cases, but wanted to get rid of those rounds so as not to get any mixed in w/good ammo. Proceeded to shoot all 22 rounds without any noticeable POI change, etc.

Of course those primers were not exposed directly to water, but again, you might be surprised.

Regards,
hm

I've had some pistol ammo get a long soaking and go bad but otherwise I havent had problems before and this batch of primers were still in all the packages and didnt get submerged at all but some may have gotten wetter than others.

Your rain story almost reminds me of my first 800-1000 yard Fclass match. Starting at 800 the sighters went great but my first round of the match felt funny feeding and when I tried to unchamber it the bullet stuck in the barrel. Some other guys had cleaning rods in their cars 50 yards behind the 1000 yard line, so I run the 250 yards to and back to get a cleaning rod, the first rod was 7mm+ and I was shooting 6.5 so I run the 250 to and back again for another rod then I start my match.... I didnt do too bad, the guy next to me was a bit upset i beat him with 15 shots in under 5 mins after running 1000 yards.

The end of that match ended in a down pour at the 1000 yard line, i shot through it and learned that much rain will carry a bullet 3moa high at 1000.

Fedx delivered an 8# keg of Exterminator/2230 today, surprisingly the price was about the same as I paid a few years ago for the same thing. $228 for the or $28/lb plus hazmat $23.50 and flat rate shipping of $12.50 cheaper than driving 120 miles RT to buy it and pay store prices.

Now I can load a bunch of primed brass I have for the 20P upper, I was worried about burning up too much of my 2230 stock as I use it in a bunch of stuff from 222 Rem to 375 Win.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI've had some pistol ammo get a long soaking and go bad but otherwise I havent had problems before and this batch of primers were still in all the packages and didnt get submerged at all but some may have gotten wetter than others.

Your rain story almost reminds me of my first 800-1000 yard Fclass match. Starting at 800 the sighters went great but my first round of the match felt funny feeding and when I tried to unchamber it the bullet stuck in the barrel. Some other guys had cleaning rods in their cars 50 yards behind the 1000 yard line, so I run the 250 yards to and back to get a cleaning rod, the first rod was 7mm+ and I was shooting 6.5 so I run the 250 to and back again for another rod then I start my match.... I didnt do too bad, the guy next to me was a bit upset i beat him with 15 shots in under 5 mins after running 1000 yards.

The end of that match ended in a down pour at the 1000 yard line, i shot through it and learned that much rain will carry a bullet 3moa high at 1000.

Assume you were shooting a scope, not irons.

Began shooting competition in service w/post front sights and quickly learned of the affect of light conditions on POI.

Light does affect elevation, even w/aperture fronts. Have never shot F class so no first hand experience w/scopes on bullseye targets but would assume it would apply w/scope as well.

Here's an interesting thread RE: Lights up, Sights up.

Regards,
hm

I scored 6 lbs of Varget today.

Ouch

I got an email notification for 8lb varget in stock. Went & it still was, added 1 to my cart.

Couldn't remember my password for the site. By the time I got that reset & logged in, the can in my cart was now out of stock.

This has happened before.

I looked, 1 lb cans still in stock but it costs more / lb that way. So I got 6 lbs.

At least I finally got some, I've been trying for well over 6 months & have had 4 opportunities that sold out before I could get checked out.

Bought the following at the local gun show
-bunch of .375 H&H reloading supplies
-7.62x51 nato brass
-.30-06 LC Match brass
-.222 Rem dies
-Nosler 7mm Ballistic Tips
-.44 Cal bullets

Seems pricing has come down a bit and a lot of people were cutting deals.

Loading deer hunting loads for a new Bergara 6.5 Creed. 125 gr. Nosler Partitions over H-4350. Sighted in, ready to hunt. I think I could go up .5 GR to 1.0 grain as these were only clocking about 2800 fps, but adequate for deer at moderate range, I'm sure.

Back