Marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70. JAM!! ??

arlaunch

I have a nice Marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70 Gov that i shoot fairly often. I have around 200 rounds through it with not many problems.

Last week while preparing it to go out to the range i figured i would tighten up all the screws. Some needed a a portion of a turn or so. Nothing special.

Got to the range, fed the rifle a couple snap caps for the usual dry fire practice.

While attempting to rack the snap cap, i got the lever all the way open.

And that was that.

STUCK!! The lever would no longer go either way.

I got frustrated and put the rifle away w/o a proper diagnoses.

Last night i took the gun apart and could not find any problems.

I wish i would have diagnosed it better..

Now i am sitting here wondering what happened.

I have lost a little faith in the rifle.

If you have a rear mounted scope or receiver sight make sure the base screws aren't too long, jamming the bolt when it is all the way back.

Last edited:
You were using snap caps when it jammed. Why can't you use snap caps at home to see what the problem is? Just make triple damned sure it is unloaded and there is no live ammo around. Run the snap caps again and if it sticks you can take your time with it. Fiddle, stroke it, caressing it and talk sweetly to it and if you can't figure it out get a bigger hammer and pound that [beeep] shut.

I took the rifle apart a couple days ago. Could not find anything. I took it to the range today with no problems.

I think i tightened the lifter screw too much, or sunk in a receiver base screw too much.

That makes sense. Thanks! No more mysteries.

I have learned a bit more about the rifle with this.

Back