Savage stock up grade - advice needed

Tonester

Howdy,

Does anyone recommend a good upgrade for a Savage synthetic stock? I want to stay lighter and improve quality.

TC

McMillan and Manners both make high quality LW stocks but they're going to cost you. I have numerous HS Precision stocks and they've all been great. My HS Prec. stocks aren't particularly heavy, probably in the 32-36 ounce range and some of the others like McMillan have their "Edge Technology" stocks that are around 26 ounces.

I'm pretty sure McM and Manners both inlet some of their stocks for Savage but I'm not sure they inlet them for all of their different stocks so you could be a bit more limited on what's available to you.

If you just want a better more solid stock than the factory plastic POS they often put on rifles maybe take a look at something from Boyd's.

Also, maybe take a look at what Stocky's has for Savage's.

Stockade offers stocks for Savages. They seem to be decent stocks and you can buy them unfinished to finished. Most of the unfinished just need sanding, maybe a little filler, then paint.

I've had pretty good luck with Savage synthetic stocks and use them on all of my Savage hunting rifles, I do bed them and open the barrel chanels so there is no chance of the forend hitting the barrel.

This one has been cut and shortened,, then added on a couple of times. It shoots close enough to shoot it in the last Egg Shoot and it broke a couple of eggs.
uT9GMx.jpg

I have a couple others also that shoot close enough that it isn't worth buying a better stock as any improvement wouldn't amount to t tenth or so..

I do have a heavy barrel Savage in 222 Rem that I built and put a Boyds stock on it as it is a HB rig and the Blue Boyds thumb-hole stock does look cool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TonesterHowdy,

Does anyone recommend a good upgrade for a Savage synthetic stock? I want to stay lighter and improve quality.

TC If you have the cheap Savage tupperware stock, you can glass bed the action and add then epoxy an aluminum stiffener into the forearm. I did it with excellent results.

Bell & Carlson stocks are pretty good on a budget for a drop in replacement. Consider bedding those also.

The Savage AccuStock is a super major improvement over the factory Savage tupperware stock. The AccuStock performs excellent, but won't provide the premium fit/feel of a custom stock of course. You might have to unscrew the barrel and replace the recoil lug to use an AccuStock depending on what model you have.

I've done all three of those options with excellent results.

Back