32 grain Nosler BT in a 20 practical

Has anybody used 32gr Nosler BTs on coyotes? If so how did they work?
I shot one today head on with one out of my 20 practical at about 80 yards and it ran off. I know not the best angle but seemed like a good hit.
Maybe I didn't hit it where I thought but at the same time I keep reading about the 20 cals and splashing. I was thinking the BTs would be a little tougher than Vmaxs. Let me know if you have any experience. Thanks

Last edited:
I shoot the 32gr SBK out of my 20 practical. Perfect bullet for that caliber on coyotes. Super accurate and anchors the coyotes. How fast are you shooting the Noslers?

I'm not sure. I haven't had a chance to Chrono them. Its a new 20" barrel. I had just worked up a load of 29.3 gr of LeverEvolution last week.
I decided to go coyote hunting the other morning and realized I still had a bipod on my 6x6.8, was in a hurry so grabbed the 20 prac with the 32 gr BT's instead.
I'll try to Chrono them this week if the weather is good.

Originally Posted By: ibschmidtyI shoot the 32gr SBK out of my 20 practical. Perfect bullet for that caliber on coyotes. Super accurate and anchors the coyotes. How fast are you shooting the Noslers?
I chrono'd them today at 3850. I have a 20" barrel. I have some 40 gr VMAX I worked up at 3790. Next time I go I may try them. I would like to find some 40gr BTs.

I assembled mine BHW 22"(1/10 twist) barrel,Andersen upper,Lantac guard. Cheap gb,gas tube, clearance sale upper parts. Doesn't seem fussy several bullets and powders have shot well under 1".

I've shot quite a few coyotes with 40gr BT's with a 223 bolt gun and they always stoned em dead as he11. I sold my CZ 527 204 to a friend of mine a few years ago and he's shot a bunch of coyotes with it using 32gr Vmax. Any Nosler BT's I ever shot were not only very accurate but they killed stuff very well. Don't believe I've ever shot any 20cal BT's but I'd be surprised if they didn't work just as well.

I have shot numerous coyotes straight on in the chest and the ones I've shot straight on always did this weird thing were they go stiff and tip straight over backwards. First time I shot one straight on in the chest and it did that I was only about 100yds in front of it and it was the goofiest darn thing I'd ever seen but I've had them do the same thing since as well.

The actual front chest area of a coyote is rather deceiving because it's a lot narrower than you may think so it's a good possibility you maybe didn't hit it exactly where you think.

I went this morning and called in 2 with the 20 prac and 40 gr VMAX. The first I shot was a little far back. He did the death spin trying to bite it so I hit him again. He disappeared. He was over a little hill with only his body visible. I was hoping he hit the ground and I just couldn't see it.
The second I could only see the top third of him. He showed up when I was walking to look for the first. I shot and he disappeared. It wasn't the best shot but i know I hit it. Both these were shot at the edge of the woods. It had been logged maybe 15 or 20 years ago and is really thick with a lot of ceder and bushes.
Both were runners. I found the first maybe 70' in to the woods. The second was too thick for me to get in to so I didn't look.
The Jury is still out on the 20. It's a fun little caliber to shoot. The shots have to be perfect because you don't get a blood trail. It's hard to hit a running animal perfect. I think it would be better in the winter when it's not so overgrown here. Another thing to add. They are really answering the Icotec Outlaw call. I've called in 4 in the last week over 5 stands. I usually take a FoxPro Banshee

Last edited:
Edge hits on coyote with .224 and smaller calibers likely will result in runners. Shots from the liver to just in front of the hips= spinners. This is more of an issue at night, compounded by use of digital scopes. The refresh rate on the display, can mean the "standing" coyote may well have been moving slightly when the trigger was pulled. I like the 17's and 20's for fur, mainly hp bullets. I do like the 40 Nosler BT, I leave the Hornady and Sierra tipped bullets for prairie dogs.

Coyote-conquest: would you mind sharing your 40gr load? I'm working up loads currently in a 20"BHW barrel. I'm right at 3,600+/- with N133 and SW match rifle. Thanks

Originally Posted By: EFRCoyote-conquest: would you mind sharing your 40gr load? I'm working up loads currently in a 20"BHW barrel. I'm right at 3,600+/- with N133 and SW match rifle. Thanks
I'm thinking it's 29.3 grains of lever. I'll make sure when I get a chance. I know I had to use a carbon fiber arrow chopped down and stuck in to a funnel to use for a drop tube.

My favorite is the 204 Ruger using 40 Nosler ballitic tip. Awesome round. The problem is Nosler seems to not be making the 40gr. ballistic in 20 caliber. Sent them and e-mail and no response yet. Little hole in and little hole out. Very good on fur and dumps the coyote.

Rudy

Back