Savage Striker

It's been awhile since I been on here .I been super busy with life in general,had some free time and started digging through the old safe and found my 260 REM STRIKER.I am guilty to say I haven't done much with this gun ..I have found a new found interest in this gun since seeing it . There are a few things I want to do to this gun if still possible.I would like to put a sling kit, bipod and Maybe a new stock on this thing ..I can't seem to find any aftermarket following on these items?.This gun will be primarily used to hunt and mess around with. Targeted animals include Coyotes,Javelina,Mule/Coues Deer and whatever other animals present a opportunity at the time . Any help or advice for this would be appreciated.Thank you for your time.

I bought a used Striker in 7-08 a year ago. It shoots 140 Nosler AB very well. A buddy has one in 243 and it also shoots well. I haven't hunted with it yet, but I hope to get a deer or two with it.

Dan

I would love to have one in a 243 and 22 250 .Hope to take a deer and lots of yotes also. I need to figure out how to add a sling stud kit and a bipod ...Hope one of the seasoned hand gun hunters.tunes in and can help a fellow out ...

I had a Striker years ago so my memory of it is fading. I do remember it shot pretty good. It was a 308 and I remember it had a pretty stout recoil as well. No muzzle brake on mine. You may have to get creative as far as sling swivels go. Maybe a barrel band for the front and maybe epoxy something in the bottom of the rear grip. I have a friend that has one. When I talk to him I'll see if he has swivels in his.

Easy to install sling swivel studs in those stocks just a drill and epoxy. Have had a number of those Strikers in years past. My 260 went to a rancher buddy who killed 2 hogs recently in OK with it. I now have one in 243 WSSM,that I use now for sniping coyotes during calving season. The factory 22-250's have been very good shooters for me.

I rebuilt one of my Strikers from 243win to 6 Creedmoor. 15” in a Rockwell stock, and eliminated the barrel nut by using a shouldered Proof Research barrel. It’s not as svelte as the Rem XP’s or the new Nosler NCH 48’s, but the midgrip design makes it favorable in many ways to the new Savage or proximal Remington rear grip pistols which are effectively just rifle set ups without stocks. Also unique to the Savage Striker is the internal box magazine - the rest of the field aren’t repeaters.

52418770891_9a195e6deb_c.jpg

I am looking to use my 260 Rem as a truck gun and calling every once in awhile to mess around. When you drill the stock are you putting a block of aluminum in the stock with epoxy to secure the studs? I would love to have the ability to carry and use a bipod on this pistol and try to make it more manageable and easier to use.

A 6 creed would be nice . I love the look of that stock . I'll have to check out Rockwell for a stock ..The amount of money and labor that you put into that setup is it personally worth it to you or would you rather buy a Nosler or Remington? I am considering trying to put some money into this one if I can find a way to build a setup like yours.Figure I can try to use the platform I currently have to see if I enjoy the whole idea of the long range pistol.

Originally Posted By: yotebuster10A 6 creed would be nice . I love the look of that stock . I'll have to check out Rockwell for a stock ..The amount of money and labor that you put into that setup is it personally worth it to you or would you rather buy a Nosler or Remington? I am considering trying to put some money into this one if I can find a way to build a setup like yours.Figure I can try to use the platform I currently have to see if I enjoy the whole idea of the long range pistol.

Jim Rockwell retired, and his son apparently has had trouble keeping up with the business, so tread lightly. He still makes a great stock, and is really the only option for someone making Striker stocks, but he’s in transition and apparently has some production delay issues going on.

Comparing a custom Striker to a custom XP-100 is kind of a horse race. Undeniably, mid-grip Remington XP-100’s were considered the Cadillac in their day while the Strikers were lower cost, less refined options. That reputation doesn’t make them shoot any worse, it’s just reputation. The Striker’s are chunkier in the grip and stock, and action, and the repeater design means they stand taller above the hand than the XP’s. Potential for accuracy is still top notch. There are definitely more options for guys building XP stocks, but Strikers also have the option for drop-in nut-style barrels more readily than XP’s. Price wise, it’s harder to spend as much on a Striker as it is an XP-100, because Strikers are less expensive, Striker barrels can be cheaper, and Rockwell stocks are less expensive than the chassis’ or fiberglass stocks we typically buy for XP’s. So sure, building my custom Striker was worth it to me, just as much as building any of my custom Specialty Pistols or rifles has been. It shoots small and looks great doing it.

Comparing against the Nosler NCH M48 is a bit sideways also. I don’t really buy factory firearms, and comparing a custom Striker to a factory Nosler is odd. But the M48 does have the advantages of the XP-100 in lower bore-over-grip height and more svelte grip and stock. Economically, I have $650 into that barrel and $550 into the stock. I owned the Striker from way back when they only cost $350, I suppose inflation corrected that would be around $700 - but I think a guy would struggle to find a Striker on the market today at that price. I wouldn’t buy a $1000-1200 striker to rebuild it today. More likely, I’d buy an Impact 737R and start from bare action (ending up with a rear grip repeater), or I’d buy an M48. But if you have a Striker - and don’t want to sell it for $1200 and put that towards a new build, then rebuilding the Striker can make sense.

That's the best looking custom Striker I've ever seen.

Y10--no i just drilled the factory stock and epoxied the wood-style stud in--no problems. Done it in several strikers over the years.

I just bought a factory Striker for about 400$ 6 months or so ago with the older model 2.5-7X Burris on top at a gun shop, and now finally getting around to developing loads for it right now.

Back