Kudos To Bering Optics

Kirsch

I know that sometimes I get labeled a Bering "Fanboy" or whatever term people like to use, but I wanted to tell you about a recent hunt with my Bering thermals.

I received a call yesterday from a customer, and it required me to pull my Super Yoter off the gun to test something. The LaRue mount on my Super Yoter has always had great Return To Zero (RTZ), so I left to go hunting and didn't zero my scope after removing and remounting.

I have been using NV to navigate on many of my nighttime adventures this year. Personally, I feel like going into a calling location with no lights has been beneficial. However, walking in pastures with NV can be challenging. I stepped in a hole, and I just let myself fall or risk breaking my leg. I landed on my chest pack which was holding my Phenom scanner. The Phenom was knocked out of my vest and was laying on the ground a few feet away. I was carrying my gun with a sling, and it flew off my shoulder, and my gun and scope had hit the ground and some rocks that were in the area.

To my amazement, everything started up and nothing appeared broken which was nothing short of a miracle. After checking over the equipment and myself, my thoughts went back to the coyote stand. Could I trust the Zero after my gun took such a hard fall? My body was hurting, so how would the Super Yoter still retain the zero after this. My question was quickly answered as during this stand I shot a double, and 2 more coyotes on the next two stands with no misses.

As for me, I am very sore today but so very thankful my thermals are OK, and I seem to be as well.

My Super Yoter returned to zero to start the hunt after being remounted and retained zero even after it took a beating. Many threads on various Forums focus on the negative of thermals, but I wanted to pass along this positive report.

Glad no harm to you, that would suck with just starting out the season. Can always replace gear. Along the line of don’t drive off the road to avoid hitting animals, trees or other various land forms are way worse.

Glad you're ok. That's one of my biggest fears about stumbling around in the dark.

On a side note, I recently zeroed my Hogster 25 on my 243 after sending in the SH. While checking the target, the rifle fell out of my Bog clamp and was on the ground when I got back. No damage or loss of zero luckily.

Yeah, breaking a leg out there would not be good. Great to hear the scope held up so well. Just adds to the confidence factor.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. I am doing OK. Might need to visit my chiropractor for an adjustment but other than that, good to go.

Yes, glad you are ok.
The last time (Aug. 2017 while hanging trailcams) I took a fall in the woods I had the ball of my left humorous almost at my left nipple and was 1/2mile from the house alone.
Dislocated shoulders are not fun and I lost all but 3 days of my PA bow season and had my bow down to 43# which cause me to pass on 2 good bucks in Illinois that were at 35-40yds because my shooting was not good.
Since then, I walk a lot slower and watch where my feet are and use a trekking pole a lot of the time. Makes scouting a lot less efficient but less painful hopefully .

Originally Posted By: jmeddyYes, glad you are ok.
The last time (Aug. 2017 while hanging trailcams) I took a fall in the woods I had the ball of my left humorous almost at my left nipple and was 1/2mile from the house alone.
Dislocated shoulders are not fun and I lost all but 3 days of my PA bow season and had my bow down to 43# which cause me to pass on 2 good bucks in Illinois that were at 35-40yds because my shooting was not good.
Since then, I walk a lot slower and watch where my feet are and use a trekking pole a lot of the time. Makes scouting a lot less efficient but less painful hopefully . Thanks for sharing and hope you didn't see any long-term issues from your fall.

I have the Hogster 35 and I’ve found the QD mount to return to zero very well. I really love my Hogster 35 can’t beat it for the $

Originally Posted By: R. TokerI have the Hogster 35 and I’ve found the QD mount to return to zero very well. I really love my Hogster 35 can’t beat it for the $ I totally agree the Hogster 35 and now Hogster Vibe 35 are great thermals for the price.

Originally Posted By: carvercallsDang Korey,I just read this.. Glad your alright!! Thanks Kerry. I am still a little sore, but overall, the outcome was better than I could have hoped for considering what could have happened to both my equipment and me. I think my strategy from now on is to approach a stand via NV when the area is a little less trecherous and maybe use some light when in more rugged terrain. On my most recent hunt, I am almost 100% sure I harvested an extra coyote because I approached a stand and put out the call using NV. When I sat down to start calling and scanned the area, there was a coyote a few hundred yards away that never knew I was there. The coyote would have spooked if I had been using a light. This is one of many times this has happened this year in comparison to previous years not using NV for navigation.

Originally Posted By: jmeddyNot to hijack Korey's post but check out my Bering event in my last entry of my post "wife says go hunting. Jmeddy, glad to hear the Factory Reset worked for you. It is always a good thing to try before sending a unit back, so it is a good thing Bering Support mentioned this.

Back