Muzzle Brake for kids 243 winchester

Panyote

Hello everyone I would like to put a muzzlebrake on a CVA Cascade 243 for my kids to hunt deer/coyotes with. It will be for recoil mitigation, and would like it to be self timing not crush washer. If anyone has any insights I would greatly appreciate them!

Recoil and perceived recoil are two different things.

Sound can increase perceived recoil a lot, adding a muzzle break to a rifle will increase the sound to the shooter. A 243 isn't in the category of harsh recoil.

Reducing actual recoil can be achieved by using 55/58grain bullets at a moderate speed for coyotes and using lighter game bullets for deer like some of the lighter weight all copper bullets

Just some thoughts from experiences with new shooters.

Thank you, my kids are not new shooters they currently shoot an AR in 223, but are smaller. We are having a hard time getting close enough (100yds) to the deer for them to make a clean kill shot. This is why we are bumping up to a 243, we will be using electronic ear muffs while hunting.

Quote:A 243 isn't in the category of harsh recoil.

One thing to consider is the child's stature; while the 243 is not considered to have a harsh recoil, I learned the hard way that the felt recoil of a 6mm Rem. felt, to my 8 year old son, like my 300 Win. Mag recoil did to me.

Long story short, my son was slight of build. The first two groups he shot with his new rifle were 5/8" three shot groups. They rapidly opened up to 3" or more and I suspected he was flinching. He would not admit the recoil was bothering him, but I suspected it was.

It finally occurred to me that he weighed only 60# or so to my 180 so, to prove my theory, I set up a video camera beside the shooting bench and got him to turn it on while I shot the WM. Then I put him on the bench with his 6mm and filmed that. Surprisingly, the 6mm pushed him back farther than my 300 did me.

He did overcome it, but recoil to a young, new shooter is definitely a consideration, as is muzzle blast.

Regards,
hm

Might try some reduced recoil loads. My smith installs recoil reducer in the stocks of some shotguns. It might be possible to install one in the Cascade. I can't say for sure if that's possible or not but it might be worth checking in to.

If you don't go the muzzle brake route you can add some weight in the buttstock to help soak up some recoil energy.

I never had problems with my 7 (son) and 8 (daughter) year old using the 243. Recoil did not appear to even be noticed when shooting at a deer. My son moved to a 270 in just a few years and my daughter to a 257 Robert’s by 12.

I would get a good recoil pad way before I but a break on it. I have a break on a 300 win mag but that is something else entirely.

The issue of the muzzle break is one thing, and in the older speer manuals they have reduced loads with 85g bullets for the 243 Win.

A HUGE issue is length of pull, and I have had to cut the length of pull to 10.5" when my nephews started hunting. With an improper length of pull, they simply can not mount the gun properly and see through the scope, which makes the issue of the recoil even more serious.

Gentry Muzzle breaks throw much of the sound forward, and this is no lie or exaggeration! Side discharge muzzle breaks simply blow your ears out without hearing protection.

If it is legal in your state to shoot a 22 caliber on deer, a 22/250 loaded with 60g Nosler partitions massacre's deer, deer when skinned look like they have been shot with a 300 Winchester loaded with 150g bullets at 3300 fps. Recoil on a 22/250 is MUCH less than a 243 Win.

In terms of adding a recoil pad, that would be a great time to cut the stock to fit the youngster.

Quote:A HUGE issue is length of pull, and I have had to cut the length of pull to 10.5" when my nephews started hunting. With an improper length of pull, they simply can not mount the gun properly and see through the scope, which makes the issue of the recoil even more serious.

In terms of adding a recoil pad, that would be a great time to cut the stock to fit the youngster.

+1 I drilled the stock for two dowels prior to cutting and as he grew, used the drop for spacers until he could handle full length stock.

Regards,
hm

Cut the stock to fit. Put on a good brake. Always wear hearing protection. See scores improve.
Nobody can shoot a rifle that don't fit and recoil is always an issue.
A kid has a lot to learn and needs every advantage. 243 is a good deer rifle and that is important to.
I think you are on the right track.

It sounds like tailored reloads are not an easy option for you? To me, that would be the solution. I’m not talking about ‘winging it’, powders like H4895 allow a wide range of adjustment.

A friend was mentoring a young hunter 2 years ago, had a hard time finding 243 ammo. He asked me about reloading some for him. Of course I first cautioned about shooting another person’s reloads.

I ended up loading some 85 grain Gamekings at mid levels, his youth hunter was medium versed. He was able to bag his first deer, anterless, one shot. I also loaded them lighter loads with 55 grain bullets for practice.

To me, that’s the easy, lower cost solution.

I know this is an older hread but....
..not sure why someone would want to throw a muzzle brake on to add the "boom" factor to "recoil" for a kid. We ALL know Muzzle brakes suck for that.
Like other said fit is the key..
If you can't go suppressed try a linear comp and like other said adding some weight, different loads...
There are also other factory ammo loads for the .223 that will kill deer out past 150 yards with no problem ..Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos is one of them.
I've been using my .223 with the correct bullet the past few years with NO issues killing deer.

Has nothing to do with muzzle brake but for my young daughters I set up an ar15 style 22lr that looks and feels basically the same and has the same trigger that the ar in 350legend has. They do all their practicing with the 22 and only shoot the 350 when they have some adrenaline at a deer. Seems to be working well as they are shooting targets well and killing deer without flinching.

Back