Thermal Mountain Lion Kill...

Kino M

Staff member
Had a fun night of calling last night and wished I had a tag! My hunting buddy killed an AWESOME cat last night and I got the video on my new Nvision HALO XRF and thought I'd share since you don't see many lion videos.

Started calling the cat from about 800 yards and it came in on a string!

How about some context. Were you trying to call a cat? Scouted and knew one in area? Just got lucky? How about size. Would like to hear details if your up to it.

I called one in while bobcat hunting. It's why I don't use hand calls at night anymore. Can't shoot them at night here.

Very cool video! Calling in a large dangerous predator definitely increases the excitement level!

Originally Posted By: case-nhHow about some context. Were you trying to call a cat? Scouted and knew one in area? Just got lucky? How about size. Would like to hear details if your up to it.

So we was hunting an area that is loaded with mountain lions, bobcat, coyote and kit foxes. My buddy is a local and knows the area well and has a lion tag so we was hunting both. Cat was taken with a 53gr v-max load at about 110yd. with a 223. Nice Tom, 3 years old.

We stopped to make a coyote stand and seen the cat at about 800 but didn't know what it was exactly that far away. I won't say the exact sound we used but I will say its a sound that I've killed many many coyotes and foxes with, a distress sound used softly and sparingly.

DU I refuse to post pictures here because of the hoopla involved but I would gladly text you some if you wanted. If it was easy I would gladly share to the forum.

Kino, I sent you a PM with my phone #. Looking forward to the pics. Will you allow me to post them here for you? If not, that's okay.

Thanks DU for taking the time to post that for me and thanks for the comments, like Kirsch and other seasoned guys have mentioned its not often to have lions show up and be lucky enough to get it on video. The most satisfying thing to me is its the same tactics and sounds I use to kill coyotes, bobcats and fox everywhere else in the eastern US.

The first round hit the lion in the base of the neck, second round was a grazing round at the top of the back towards the rear (non lethal) and the last was in the boiler room at about 200yds.

Sorry for the poor pictures I have, ill see about getting some better ones. It was an awesome experience to just be there calling for sure!

Originally Posted By: Kino M It was an awesome experience to just be there calling for sure!
That ain't no shlt, takes calling to a whole new level!!!

Would be awesome to be able to call at night... might be worth traveling for!

Even with $5 per gallon gas!

Thanks for posting!

Back