Anybody here handload for big bores? .366's and up?

Curious who else here handloads for the big boys, 9.3mm, .375's, .416's etc

I havent done a ton of loading for my 9.3mm's yet and just picked up a bunch of .375 H&H components for a rifle I no longer own. Would like to get another

The 9.3x62 is a very cool cartridge, nipping at the heels of the .375's but in a .30-06 length action with milder recoil and less weight. I have 286 gr Lapua Mega, 286 gr PRVI SP (similar to the Mega), 286 gr Norma Plastic Point, Speer 270 gr Spitzer and probably others I am forgetting. Also picked up some 9x18 Makarov projectiles to try rabbit-fart loads but havent had much time to play with em.

375 H H here, Reloader 15, 250 grain TTSX shoots well with tolerable recoil. Shot factory Remington loads to get a feel for the gun and get some brass for reloading prior to an elk hunt. 270 grn softpoints are plenty for prairie dogs and coyotes. Got some 235 grain Speers to try for deer and antelope, but haven't loaded any up....yet.

Been a while but, 375 h&h. Mostly 260 gr Accubonds w/RL15 for everything up to Gemsbok and ample for a few coyotes, as well
wink.gif
. For eland hunt used 300 gr. A Frame and RL19.

Regards,
hm

I phased myself out of the boomers.

I had a 358 STA, 375 H&H, 375 H&H Ackley, and a 416 Rem Mag.

Now days my big gun is a 6.5x47 Lapua.....

Originally Posted By: obaro375 H H here, Reloader 15, 250 grain TTSX shoots well with tolerable recoil. Shot factory Remington loads to get a feel for the gun and get some brass for reloading prior to an elk hunt. 270 grn softpoints are plenty for prairie dogs and coyotes. Got some 235 grain Speers to try for deer and antelope, but haven't loaded any up....yet.

Have you tried any Hodgdon powders in it? I am looking to get into one, have most 270 to 300 gr Soft Points and FMJs

Originally Posted By: AWS375 Win, 9.3x72R,

I remember seeing your Drilling and have been dying to get one ever since lol. You have great taste, my friend. Always enjoy reading your posts

I haven't tried any Hodgdon powder, read that RL 15 was the stuff to use in the 375, so just went with that so far. May try some other powders with the lighter bullets, but it shoots so well with the load I've got I don't feel I'd gain anything significant enough to mess with on the 250 Barnes load.

The old girl is 115 yrs old and can still get the job done. I can get a pretty good round of trap out of it also. Bought it with the head of the stock shattered and pieces of the wood missing. I pieced it back together and made some new pieces then rebedded the locks. The right hammer was loose, and I sent it off and had it refitted.

C3gith.jpg

L to R 243 Win, 6.5x58R Sauer, 9.3x72R

6v77Cn.jpg

The stepped bullet is because of the multitude of groove diameters in the old guns. From what I've seen the groove diameters can run from .358 to .366, and the narrow driving band allows it to be used in most without causing undo pressure mine has a groove diameter of .364 and a bore diameter of .346 very tall narrow lands.

It is not a very powerful cartridge considering it's size, running neck and neck with a 35 Rem. The 9.3x72R was very popular with German Foresters/Gamekeepers as the firearms could be kept light and still had the power to handle anything in Germany. There is a very similar cartridge the 9.3x74R that runs neck and neck with the 375 H&H and is also found in drillings meant for African game in drillings and stalking rifles.

9.3x74R
w7jUFi.jpg

Last edited:
I load for my 375 H&H using Barnes 300 gr TSX bullets and RL 15 powder. Cloverleafs 3 shots at 100 yards out of my Win Mod 70.
The only thing I use it for is when I go to Africa because it is so heavy to carry around the mountains.

Originally Posted By: AWSThe old girl is 115 yrs old and can still get the job done. I can get a pretty good round of trap out of it also. Bought it with the head of the stock shattered and pieces of the wood missing. I pieced it back together and made some new pieces then rebedded the locks. The right hammer was loose, and I sent it off and had it refitted.

C3gith.jpg

Teasing me again haha! Beautiful gun. Always been really intrigued by the 9.3's. I would love to have a 9.3x64 Brenneke one day and am planning a 9.3x66 Sako once I get a good donor action
L to R 243 Win, 6.5x58R Sauer, 9.3x72R

6v77Cn.jpg

The stepped bullet is because of the multitude of groove diameters in the old guns. From what I've seen the groove diameters can run from .358 to .366, and the narrow driving band allows it to be used in most without causing undo pressure mine has a groove diameter of .364 and a bore diameter of .346 very tall narrow lands.

It is not a very powerful cartridge considering it's size, running neck and neck with a 35 Rem. The 9.3x72R was very popular with German Foresters/Gamekeepers as the firearms could be kept light and still had the power to handle anything in Germany. There is a very similar cartridge the 9.3x74R that runs neck and neck with the 375 H&H and is also found in drillings meant for African game in drillings and stalking rifles.

9.3x74R
w7jUFi.jpg

gonna be getting into loading both 45-70 and 458 win mag. cousin has a couple and wants some help learning to load for them, espeially the 458 due to ammo cost.

should be fun
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI shot a 30-378 Weatherby last week. Nope nope nope. I just don't have enough azz for a rifle like that.

Thats a biggun'! My buddy hunts whitetail with one. I asked him why and he said "You dont have to lead them very far when they are running across the cornfield at 350 yards". He loads a very overbore mixture of H1000 and 150 gr Nosler ballistic tip. I think he finally switched to a 200 gr Accubond to burn that 100 gr powder column a little better

Back