6.5 PRC

Until recently, my universal hunting rifle was a lightweight 1972 Remington 30-06 ADL, topped with a Leupold M8 4x scope.

I never had eyes for anything else. Last fall, I was hunting and came across an desert mule deer with spike antlers that was harassing a couple does. I could make him out with my binos, but my 4x scope didn't allow me to resolve the antlers, and the deer were playing the "shell game" and moving around. After switching binos-scope-binos-scope-binos-scope, I finally established 100% which deer he was and took a harried shot at 255 yards. Luckily I missed completely. Normally I'm not one to blame my gear, but my 50 year old rifle with a 4x scope wasn't up to the task of hunting AZ desert mule deer in the wide open Harquahala Mtns.

so I asked around a bit. It seemed everyone was raving about the 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'd researched it previously, but the ballistics never impressed me. For my skillset, a 243, 270, or 30-06 seemed preferable, with even the old 243 shooting flatter at ranges I'm capable of shooting. And frankly, I wasn't confident the 6.5 Creedmoor was powerful enough to be my universal hunting rifle.

Then I stumbled across the 6.5 PRC. I never heard of it before. But after about 72 hours of reading up on it, I was the proud new owner of a Tikka T3X Lite Veil alpine. I put a leupold VX3HD 4.5-14X scope on it. It's astonishingly accurate with Norma factory ammo. The best way I can describe shooting it, is like a video game. It's way oversimplified and imacts directly where I'm aiming, whereas I'm accustomed to having a bunch more uncontrollable variables affecting my shot. The modern cartridge geometry, powder, and rifle build quality make for super consistent groups. The scope consistently holds zero, even if I adjust back & forth repeatedly to chance elevation and windage. The projectile always impacts where the crosshairs are resting. It sounds dumb, but I had never known precision like this before. I can consistently hit pop cans - dead center - at 200 yards.

The drawback is ammo. A lot of places advertise they have it, but when you try to add 6.5 PRC ammo to the cart you discover it's on perpetual backorder. I quickly bought reloading dies and bullets, powder was a bit of a hassle to find, and I ultimately settled for probably my 4th blind pick. I then bought 140 rounds ($$$) of Norma match and intend to reuse that brass for the rest of my life. I also got a lone box of Hornady 143 grain ELD-X hunting ammo in case I can't get a handload dialed in during the next 3 weeks.

Other than the ammo sourcing difficulties, I'm completely sold on the 6.5 PRC. It's super precise, the recoil is a tad less than my old 30-06, and it's got sufficient smack-factor that I'd take it on an elk hunt.

I'm of the opinion that the newer breed of fat overbore cartridges, loaded with high BC bullets and modern powder compositions, is a distinct step in cartridge evolution, similar to the evolution from the round ball to the minie ball.

I think the evolutionary step was so pronounced to me because I was previously living in a time capsule, shooting a 50 year old rifle, chambered in a 100 year old cartridge, and using IMR powders invented in the 1930s.

The 6.5 PRC in the Tikka (along with the new scope) completely outclasses my old setup, and essentially doubles my effective hunting range.

Even though the 30-06 is 100 years old and uses powders made in the 30's, its a proven cartridge that won't be going away any time soon. Its proven its worth time and time again. Nothing wrong at all with some of the new stuff coming out but most of the old stuff still performs very well. And you can buy a box of 30-06 ammo about anywhere that sells ammo, no so easy with the PRC.

Quote:my 4x scope didn't allow me to resolve the antlers, and the deer were playing the "shell game" and moving around. After switching binos-scope-binos-scope-binos-scope, I finally established 100% which deer he was and took a harried shot at 255 yards. Luckily I missed completely. Normally I'm not one to blame my gear, but my 50 year old rifle with a 4x scope wasn't up to the task of hunting AZ desert mule deer in the wide open Harquahala Mtns.

I suspect your 4x scope is more of an issue than your "50 year old rifle" in this case. The 4.5-14 is an excellent choice for a hunting rifle IMO, and I'm sure you will be very happy with your new rifle.

Quote:Then I stumbled across the 6.5 PRC. I never heard of it before. But after about 72 hours of reading up on it, I was the proud new owner of a Tikka T3X Lite Veil alpine. I put a leupold VX3HD 4.5-14X scope on it. It's astonishingly accurate with Norma factory ammo.

Not knocking the 6.5 PRC, actually have heard great reports from a very knowledgeable friend who just bought one and raves about it's performance on game.

But us old farts are just set in our ways, I guess. Never found the 30-06 lacking in either accuracy or terminal ballistics for target or hunting. As for accuracy, this 50 year old rifle (at the time) managed to hang in there in spite of my 60 year old eyes chambered for the 93 year old 30-06 cartridge.

36897532556_3c3187ca35_o.jpg

35611090761_4a311960a5_w.jpg
34900899614_7cb2846652_n.jpg

The ten ring on the target @ left measures 1.75" for perspective.

Regards,
hm

I like the idea of something new, especially when its better than something, (for a lack of better choice of words), out dated. The main reason I held off the PRC was lack of components. I could get dies and had bullets, just no brass. I hated to buy loaded ammo just to get the brass. At the cost of loaded ammo it made brass pretty pricey. Its not off my WTB list, just put it moved towards the bottom until things get better, if they ever do.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI like the idea of something new, especially when its better than something, (for a lack of better choice of words), out dated. The main reason I held off the PRC was lack of components. I could get dies and had bullets, just no brass. I hated to buy loaded ammo just to get the brass. At the cost of loaded ammo it made brass pretty pricey. Its not off my WTB list, just put it moved towards the bottom until things get better, if they ever do.

Let me ask you this, if you did get a 6.5 PRC how much do you honestly believe you'd shoot it?

I bought a CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC a couple years ago from Cabela's because I had a bunch of Cabela's Club Points money built up and it seemed like a good way to spend it. Much like yourself I could get everything except new unprimed brass so I bought a few boxes of Hornady 143 ELD-X and 147 ELD-M loaded ammo, figuring I'd just reload that brass after I shot it, and proceeded to shoot it. Now I'll be honest, I've been pretty critical of CA rifles shooting very well in years past but I was actually amazed at how well it shot and with factory ammo no less.

I'm set up to reload for it but considering how much I shoot it and how well it shoots with the factory Hornady ammo which is welllll under .5 MOA I'm not all that sure I'll ever mess with reloading for this particular rifle.

To answer your question honestly, probably not enough to merit the cost of the rifle or the reloading supplies. I really don't "need" it as I have rifles now that very seldom get shot. There were some really decent deals on the CA's along with a stout rebate and I thought I needed one. The 6.5PRC was the only caliber they had them in. After some research, factory fodder was all that really was available other than dies and bullets. Just kinda steered me away for the time being.

I ordered a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC Monday, EuroOptics has a great deal on them right now.

Last edited:
I built one several years ago just about as soon as 4D got their first reamers delivered. Had some Hornady brass woes at first.

I built it off a Tikka and put a 26" Proof CF barrel and custom titanium brake and bolt handle, Mesa carbon fiber stock and topped off with a 3-18x50 VH6. It's still my favorite rifle in my safe.

I'm shooting the 156 Bergers at 2950 with RL-26 and ADG brass

Last edited:
A friend of mine was at the club a few days ago shooting a 6.5 PRC he had built for a friend. Impact action, Proof CF barrel, Trigger Tech trigger,AG composite stock and a big azz Leupold scope. He was "breaking in the barrel" using factory ammo. I was noticing the recoil and so was he. He said it was pretty stiff until he put his suppressor on it. That tamed it down considerably. It was shooting factory fodder into little bitty groups. I have a feeling he will be building himself one before long.

I bought one of the new Springfield Waypoint 2000 rifles in 6.5 PRC. Years ago I had a 6.5-284 on a long action throated for heavies. I used Lapua brass. That rifle was a real hot rod.

Originally Posted By: AnkenyI bought one of the new Springfield Waypoint 2000 rifles in 6.5 PRC. Years ago I had a 6.5-284 on a long action throated for heavies. I used Lapua brass. That rifle was a real hot rod.

How you liking the new Waypoint?

Back