Night calling guns

cmatera

I'm considering getting a new night calling gun. 99% of my shots are 175 yards or less. I hunt near civilization, so I need to be as quiet as possible. I don't frequently call in multiples.

I need a gun that is quiet, easily suppressed, and for which I can buy factory ammo, bolt action or semi auto is OK. At 67 years old, my reloading days are almost over.

In order to be that quiet, you'll want subs, and since your not reloading your options for that are limited, I would still look into a 223 or 22-250, with a good suppressor it's going to be a great rig.

IF you can make the shots closer like an average 50 yards to 75, and you want quiet, and accuracy, but compromising a bit of energy, look at a compressed air Rifle, they are amazing.

I would get a basic Ruger American Predator with the 16" barrel. And a good quality suppressor and go to town.

If you don't mind reloading some, go with a 50gr Sierra Blitzking over 13 grs. Of Blue dot and that will get u right at 3000 fps. And it's stupid queit and accurate.

Last edited:
I did buy a LaRue Tactical 16" .223 precision upper, and threw on my SAS Barricade. Without an adjustable gas block, the gun was severely overgassed, and recoil was heavy. I could buy a Sharps gas adjustable bolt, but I'm not sure if they work. I do have a .204 Ruger with a threaded barrel, and a CZ 512 in .22 WMR that shoots the 50gr Federal very accurately, but the trigger is terrible, and I have found no solution to it. I have also killed a bunch of stuff with airguns. I have a .30 caliber that has about 95 fpe at the muzzle, and a Benjamin Bulldog that is a hammer with about 150 fpe at the muzzle.
I do realize a bolt gun would be quieter than a semi, and I may be pressed to knock out some of those Blue Dot loads on a limited basis, and or buy a new bolt gun suppressor ready. I do have a TBAC .30 suppressor but worry it may make a gun too long for night use. I appreciate the ideas keep working on a solution with them.

Last edited:
What about something in the new 6 ARC cartridge. Hornady makes good factory ammo for it and it's pretty easily available.

Either in a bolt gun or AR setup a 6mm ARC with your SAS Barricade screwed on the end should not only anchor coyotes very well but should be a fairly quiet and in a relatively compact setup since the Barricade is one of the shorter cans out there. I use my SAS Barricade on my 18in 22-250 bolt gun and it's a pretty compact setup but it's quite a bit louder than what a 6 ARC would be.

...here in PA we hunt a lot of the typical PA farms....mixed Ag/residential properties....along with suburban subdivisions surrounded by fields and woodlots.

Set-ups can literally be behind a garage or shed 25 foot from the residence....or in their driveway..or a tree line that divides 2 residential properties.

I shoot a Savage 11 .243 and a Savage 10 .223..both suppressed. I generally shoot reloads in both calibers at appx 3000fps...but I've been saving those and have been shooting factory..

The reloads are substantially quieter of course. Shooting factory, I have never had a problem with the "crack" disturbing anyone....and to be honest..most people don't even hear the shot when they are sleeping.

I prefer a bolt over semi...do call in multiples and NEVER had a problem using a bolt...I just wait for them to stop.
My Savage 10 .223 has a 18 inch barrel....my 11 .243 has a 22" barrel.
..the only problem of course would be finding a quality short threaded barreled gun in a reasonable caliber.

So I'm currently at SAS for the week working on a project specifically for night hunting. The goal was to build the most quiet, compact and accurate can possible and we are very very close! Its about the same length as the Barricade but larger diameter.

In the next day or two we are setting up the B&K2209 to verify some results. I'll post up more details if anyone is interested.

Originally Posted By: Kino MSo I'm currently at SAS for the week working on a project specifically for night hunting. The goal was to build the most quiet, compact and accurate can possible and we are very very close! Its about the same length as the Barricade but larger diameter.

In the next day or two we are setting up the B&K2209 to verify some results. I'll post up more details if anyone is interested.

Always interested in hearing about new cans. I've talked to Tim a few different times over the years about my two SAS cans, Barricade and 338 Vengeance. He made me some Ti thread adapters and got them out to me super quick.

+2 on the Ruger American Predator. It is threaded from the factory, accurate and not as pricy as many other models (given today’s prices.)

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Kino MSo I'm currently at SAS for the week working on a project specifically for night hunting. The goal was to build the most quiet, compact and accurate can possible and we are very very close! Its about the same length as the Barricade but larger diameter.

Always interested in hearing about new cans. I've talked to Tim a few different times over the years about my two SAS cans, Barricade and 338 Vengeance. He made me some Ti thread adapters and got them out to me super quick.

So we did some semi formal testing with the new can today on my AR10 243 22" barrel and it was 2db quieter than the Reaper MX. If someone wants some pictures and more info feel free to PM me. I'll start a new post on the suppressor section as well.

SR 4759 shot pretty well under (.5 MOA) for me with 15 grains under a 50 V-Max. Velocity was 2,600 fps. Don't know if it is still available. I haven't shot any in about 10 years.

Originally Posted By: cmateraAny other powder good for reduced loads in .223? I can find no Blue Dot to buy anywhere locally or online?

H4895

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,256290.msg3477003.html#msg3477003

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpSR 4759 shot pretty well under (.5 MOA) for me with 15 grains under a 50 V-Max. Velocity was 2,600 fps. Don't know if it is still available. I haven't shot any in about 10 years.

SR4759 was discontinued about six years ago. It got axed at the same time as SR4756, SR7625 and PB.

H4895 will allow reduced loads, but is still sort of a medium speed powder & won't be all that quiet. The 4198 is pretty quick, 4227 is quicker still. Even faster is AA5744 & burns well in partial case fill. The idea is to have 100% powder burn & pressure at muzzle low to cut noise.

Originally Posted By: weekenderI am interested in the new can Kino

I'll start a new thread on the suppressor forum.

Back