E- bikes

Heymartay

The size of the ranches and being 65 has me thinking about one of these bikes. My question is will they fit on one of those bumper hitch bike racks? Would be nice.

Most of the ones I see are on the roll on carriers for small motorcycles. Harbor freight has some that are quite inexpensive

During the day I would think they would be great. At night you need to be extra cautious as they can move fast enough to hurt you.

The old standard bike racks are limited due to all the new frame geometries.

I hunt on some big ranches, but the roads are not good and they are very steep uphill and downhill roads with rocks and ruts in them.

If you are riding a bike you will be having to keep your eyes on the roads way more often than driving a vehicle with 4 wheels on it.

I am almost 70 years old and I have a hard time walking in rough country without falling down. There is no way I would try to hunt off of a bike on the ranches I get to hunt on.

Have a lot to think on before dropping 4-6 grand on a non paying pastime. Never thought I would spend as much as I did on thermal as I did but it’s worth it. If someone is using one like to hear your opinions, thanks.

I am near 72 yo and have been using one for over 4 yrs. Have almost 2000 miles on it. There are carriers that can handle them, just be sure what you buy can hold 70lbs. That being said, they are a load to pickup high enough to get on the racks even one end at a time. The carriers that go into a hitch receiver and you set the wheels are MUCH better. I made mine.

Mine is a M2S (mountains to sea) from close to Asheville, NC. and was delivered to PA for less than $2000.00. I have had no problems with it. It is the “all terrain 750” with 26” tires. I do wish it was a step through as it is difficult to get onto when wearing insulated bibs since l am 5’7” short. I am told that they do make one with 24”tires that is easier to get on.

My brother has an electric trail bike. It needs it own rack. The bike is pretty heavy to lift to the mount so he needs help. I'm 72 he's 74. Can't remember the make or model other than it has fat knobby tires.

I'm 75 still running a 200cc MC coyote hunting. I saw no advantage in a e-bike, I can't stop and refill it, too slow to get 50 miles to a hunting spot, it's motorized so it has to stay on the two tracks on public grounds same as my MC.

Last edited:
Marty,

I think it would work well, but in Montana the only catch is the weather will be too rough before long to use it. It could be good for Late Spring - early Fall.

I bought a Ranger with a cab and tracks a number of years ago and thought it would be so awesome. I rarely use it. The more someone hunts a few spots and needs a way to get to them no matter what, it is great. For me, I hunt a lot of properties spread out over hundreds of miles, so I got tired of trailering it everywhere and loading it and unloading. If I had one or a few huge properties, it would probably be the ticket.

I bought an Ebike last year but when it started to get cold out I had tears running down my cheeks if I tried to go faster than a walking pace. I may try it again this fall. Warmer weather and during daytime it may work

Hmm, the cold,the COLD! Well you know what i say, when the going gets tough I go to Arizona and go hunting with snowman Mo. Cmon man you can’t live in Montana and be a wimp. Thanks for all the help, good advice. Still debating.

Originally Posted By: Albert JohnnsonI am 32 and running an Electric bike that has good speed. The top speed of my e-bike is 60mph which is enough for me.

you forgot the part about you being full of chit.

They açtuly make a 60mph e-bike, it looks more like an electric dirt bike but it is full peddle, peddle assisted and full electric. Google 60mph e-bike.i.thought he was exaggerating a bit but they are out there.

FYI, they make an electric bike that will do 60mph. It is a $20,000 bike.

On a road legal bike in the US a 28mph max is the limit.

A professional rider could probably get 60mph for a very short time with a 28mph assist.

Are you a racer?

Back