Remington 700

hylander

I know I got a Tikka 243 coming in a couple of days.
But, I came upon a 700 SPS 308 heavy 26" for a good price.
Don't really want a 308, so what could I rebarrel this thing to.
Was thinking of a Shilen remage style barrel.

Ideas?

Do you have any thoughts on what you'd want to do or use it for with this particular build? Knowing that helps make better suggestions on what caliber and cartridge.

Another 243.
thumbup1.gif
Whatever you choose, Lapua brass should be a requirement.

Originally Posted By: B23Do you have any thoughts on what you'd want to do or use it for with this particular build? Knowing that helps make better suggestions on what caliber and cartridge.

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: hylanderOriginally Posted By: B23Do you have any thoughts on what you'd want to do or use it for with this particular build? Knowing that helps make better suggestions on what caliber and cartridge.

unsure.gif

Maybe write every standard bolt face short action cartridge on a piece of paper, tape it to the wall, take ten steps back, and throw a dart at the piece of paper. Whatever the dart lands on is your winner.

I suppose if you really wanted to expand your options you could also include all the WSM and SAUM cartridges to your dart board since a Rem 700 can so easily have the bolt face opened up.

Let us know what you land on.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: hylanderOriginally Posted By: B23Do you have any thoughts on what you'd want to do or use it for with this particular build? Knowing that helps make better suggestions on what caliber and cartridge.

unsure.gif

Maybe write every standard bolt face short action cartridge on a piece of paper, tape it to the wall, take ten steps back, and throw a dart at the piece of paper. Whatever the dart lands on is your winner.

I suppose if you really wanted to expand your options you could also include all the WSM and SAUM cartridges to your dart board since a Rem 700 can so easily have the bolt face opened up.

Let us know what you land on.
thumbup1.gif

I kinda like this idea
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
243 Improved, 6-250, 6-250 Improved, 260, 260 Improved, 6.5x55, 7-08, 7-08 Improved. Short action with medium bolt face, the choices are endless. In today's world, it would be something I could get brass, dies, bullets and powder for. No one wants a new gun they can't shoot.

I would tender the idea of .243A.I. AFTER the my present .243 barrel
wears out. It would be pretty simple and cost effective since the rifle
is a Sav 12 VLP...only other thing needed would be dies, and I have
plenty brass. However, after just getting the Tikka .243, that may not
be a good choice. Otherwise, I like the dart board idea.
thumbup.gif

Do you want mainsteam? Or are you like us guys that like oddball stuff nobody really uses. I would probably build a .22 Creedmoor twisted for heavy 90 gr bullets

Originally Posted By: Zastava223remDo you want mainsteam? Or are you like us guys that like oddball stuff nobody really uses. I would probably build a .22 Creedmoor twisted for heavy 90 gr bullets

This ^^^^^

You could go old school and built the King of the 22's. A good old school 220 Swift. And not a fast twist barrel so you can shoot what was meant to be shot out of it.

I guess you need to figure out what you will use it for.

Want to be able to shoot factory stuff but want the advantages of an improved case. Then the 22-250AI or 243AI would make a lot of sense fireform with factory ammo and reload with the improved brass. Looking bigger 7-03 up to 358 Win would be options.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot22-250

I second this... pull the barrel, go 250, don't ever look back, until you come here to thank us.

I appreciate all the input.
However, I have decided to pass on this project for now.
I already have 3 rifle, 2 pistol and 2 black powder rifle projects in the works.
Spreading myself a little to thin.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOf all the rifles and calibers I've played with ,never owned a 22-250. Might just try one before I die..
grin.gif

This is saying something. Either you don't think you ever needed it, or your missing out on LIFE! lol.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOf all the rifles and calibers I've played with ,never owned a 22-250. Might just try one before I die..
grin.gif

This is saying something. Either you don't think you ever needed it, or your missing out on LIFE! lol.

I started out with lite weight bullets in a 243 , then added a 223 later down the road. So no, just really never needed one.

That was many many years ago.. Been plenty of "need" rifles since and probably still...
grin.gif

Back