243 ammo for putting them down

I don't know much about that particular bullet but depending where you hit them it may be blowing up and not penetrating. I like a 70 gr BT but I don't save fur.

I guess I never thought of it “bouncing off” we looked in that field for a good 30 minutes to an hour without any blood. Found his tracks and some fur but no blood. I’ve never seen such a thing.

Even if he dropped for ten seconds rolling around before I got another one in him that also rolled him. Just never seen a coyote dance around like that if it wasn’t hit decent enough to kill it. I’m not saying I didn’t make a bad shot. Just never seen that happen before.

87Vmax is a absolute hammer for coyotes. It has the highest BC of any varmint bullet, really helps with shot placement in windy conditions. With that being said... ive shot a dog with a 87vmax at 3300 FPS and 20 yards away, then tracked the blood in the snow for over 800-1000 yards and never found it.

I took my .243 with vortex pst 5-25 out in the snow thinking i could score a long range yote. sucker popped up 20 yds to my 3 o'clock and at 5 power all i saw was fur. Its an absolute hammer... but you still gotta hit em where it counts.

When I get bored in the winter I shoot an old stove with a 22 lr. Penetrates every time. Those little black tipped bullets will bounce off, explode without penetrating at 3500 fps. I had spinners and runners with the black tipped bullets.

Crob00, you've got a good bit of friendly PM ribbing because the 243 is widely considered about the best killer before entering commonly accepted overkill for coyotes. I've used that exact round on a lot of ND coyotes (20&22" barrels).

The only time I've experienced what your describing is with poor shot placement. Poor placement doesn't necessarily mean an innacurate shot. You probably know a coyote's vitals are a good bit forward compared to most game but it was news to me when I got started. Make sure to aim right up the front leg, not behind like the classic deer placement that little bit makes a big difference. I have found if they are quartering towards you, even a little the varmint bullets can have troubles.

How your 223 did better is strange but there is always lots of factors at play in hunting conditions. Nothing much more frustrating than run offs! Coyotes are notoriously tough. My friend always jokes he's switching to a 300 Weatherby! I'd suggest really concentrating on that forward chest shot. Best of luck

About to start working up a load with the 70 gr. Speer TNT’s and the 85 gr Sierra HPBT’s with Varget. Anybody have any thoughts on these two bullets? Trying to avoid the gummy splash effect! Starting to realize this shot placement theory! Shot two off a bait pile broadside at 70 yard, held back of leg. Both ran 50 yard and folded! That was with a 6.5 Grendel with a 123 ELD. Exit wasn’t to bad, I’ve seen worst!!!

So hit the range today and found that my gun doesn’t like that bullet as much as I thought. Shame on my part for not taking more time with it after I got it. Didn’t want to use up too much ammo since i only had a box then, so only used 5 shots to sight it in. Got it on paper and grouped two near each other and called it good. Fast forward to today and the combo couldn’t hold a group. With the consistent flyer or two per group I was averaging about 4-5 in groups. The best I got was 2.75. Would’ve been about 1.5 if it weren’t for a flyer. Switched on over to 95 grain sst, shooting sub in. at 100. Gonna order some Norma 76 grain tip strike ammo and see how that does as well. Again thanks for the inputs, truly do appreciate it!

Originally Posted By: P&YI have found if they are quartering towards you, even a little the varmint bullets can have troubles. Quartering towards is one of my favorite positions! Drop them DRT with a shot at the near side base of the neck, even with light 40gr 223 or 25gr 17Rem etc. This was a 6mmDTI 55gr NBT-LF @3550fps no bounce, splash, or exit. Like a bolt of lightning. Pick your angle, shoot what's vital. An animal's vitals are not 2D like a flat sheet of paper.
50899859452_0bac850dfa_c.jpg

50900170202_2fa75a7608_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: BoommeupStarting to realize this shot placement theory! Shot two off a bait pile broadside at 70 yard, held back of leg. Both ran 50 yard and folded! That was with a 6.5 Grendel with a 123 ELD.A 50 yard runner would be an absolute failure, for me. In this case, a shot placement failure.

So shot a dog tonight, dropped her D.R.T. Quartering away, exit just in front of backside leg. Those sst’s really do some damage though. But better to know they’re dead than to be in doubt. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: BoommeupAbout to start working up a load with the 70 gr. Speer TNT’s and the 85 gr Sierra HPBT’s with Varget. Anybody have any thoughts on these two bullets? Trying to avoid the gummy splash effect! Starting to realize this shot placement theory! Shot two off a bait pile broadside at 70 yard, held back of leg. Both ran 50 yard and folded! That was with a 6.5 Grendel with a 123 ELD. Exit wasn’t to bad, I’ve seen worst!!!

I think both of these are exactly what you are looking for. They are a more solidly constructed bullet. The 85gr Sierra HP is actually a great bullet for antelope and deer. It will occasionally not exit. The 70gr Speer is a fantastic bullet and I think is a better option if you want to save hides. In my experience with them they leave a hole on the opposite side but nothing a fur guy can't sew shut.

Originally Posted By: Crob00Even if he dropped for ten seconds rolling around before I got another one in him that also rolled him. Just never seen a coyote dance around like that if it wasn’t hit decent enough to kill it. I’m not saying I didn’t make a bad shot. Just never seen that happen before.

Dancing around sounds like you hit him to far back. Gut shot.

Wasn’t that bad, located one with hand held thermal. The other had a pretty good blood trail! Bought those 123’s for the brass, just loaded 100grn Sierra HP! Shooting behind the leg (MY BAD)…Both where on a bait pile shot broadside.

Shot placement shot placement, SHOT PLACEMENT! ….but if you really want to try a different bullet imo close counts with a 70 Grain Nosler ballistic tip. I load them a little hot and have blown holes though yotes I could clap my hands in….to the point of almost cutting dogs in half when bone or shoulder is hit on the way in…Just nasty!!! I quit using my 243 for years because of how overkill and destructive the caliber is on fur.

YOU WILL have spinners and runners with any caliber if hit it too far back. Just take your time and wait for a better shot placement or the coyote to stop before shooting. ..any ammo loaded out of a 243 is overkill on coyote imo. That’s why I like it!

I finally shot my first deer with a 243 last season to see why I hear it’s to weak for whitetail with the same complaints as the OP mentions. I dropped a deer look it was hit with Thor’s hammer last winter with a 90 grain Nosler ballistic tip hand load. I had fist size groups in and out of the ribs and it blew threw the opposite shoulder plate. Bullet came to a rest just before the hide. What a bullet! I’ve blown double fist size holes in coyotes with the same load when bone is hit. No bone hit and it leaves a .243 size hole in and out still dropping it like Thor’s hammer hit it.

Last edited:
Back