To Post, Or Not To Post, That Is The Question???

Originally Posted By: AWSIt is still pretty much useless until they can do it with the first round.

Is calling /hunting coyote "pretty much useless" if you don't call and kill one every time ?

Insert any sport /activity that uses a skill of any kind to the above question.

Originally Posted By: skinneyThe skill involved at shooting over 2K yards is the know how to get there, with proper equipment.
One could argue they did not have the know how to get there, since they used multiple spotters and lobbed 68 misses before finally hitting the target only one time on the 69th attempt. Then, they immediately stopped shooting, because they knew the probability of hitting the target a second time was veeeeery low. It may have taken more than 68 additional misses before they scored a second hit.

A first shot hit at 4000 yards would be amazing, especially if it was fairly repeatable. Also, a certain number of hits out of ten shots would be amazing. Both of those types of feats would show actual ability to hit a target at 4000 yards.

It's neither skill nor knowledge unless it's somewhat repeatable.

Lobbing 69 shots to get one hit and then immediately quitting demonstrates nothing other than one lucky hit. Actually, a 1.45% chance of a hit. That's a pretty weak demonstration of "skill" or "know how".

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGIt would take a looooong time to get a "group" with only a 1.45% hit rate. That's why they stopped after just one hit.

Another way to say it is that these people have a confirmed impact at the furthest distance ever recorded.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: skinneyThe skill involved at shooting over 2K yards is the know how to get there, with proper equipment.
One could argue they did not have the know how to get there, since they used multiple spotters and lobbed 68 misses before finally hitting the target only one time on the 69th attempt. Then, they immediately stopped shooting, because they knew the probability of hitting the target a second time was veeeeery low. It may have taken more than 68 additional misses before they scored a second hit.

A first shot hit at 4000 yards would be amazing, especially if it was fairly repeatable. Also, a certain number of hits out of ten shots would be amazing. Both of those types of feats would show actual ability to hit a target at 4000 yards.

It's neither skill nor knowledge unless it's somewhat repeatable.

Lobbing 69 shots to get one hit and then immediately quitting demonstrates nothing other than one lucky hit. Actually, a 1.45% chance of a hit. That's a pretty weak demonstration of "skill" or "know how".

One could also counter, they did have the knowledge to get there and skills, or they simply wouldn't of made the shot. Just because I won state in Baseball or Track doesn't mean, my (spotters) coach wasn't there helping along the way, fine tuning techniques, practices, plyos, agility, starts, strength training, telling where my place is, what my pace is, or to help me with my mark. More often than not it takes a team to achieve a goal, one way or another.

What's a Major Leaguers batting average? 1000, heck no, not even 500, a first round bomb every time would be amazing.

BUT WHY NOT?

Variables, curves, sliders, screw balls, risers, 75mph change vs 95mhp heater. In this case the wind, the unknowns NOT the knowns make this 4 mile shot very VERY unrepeatable.

You can either be a hitter, or a batter. Even a professional hitter misses quite often, BUT he still has a decent avg for what he does.

But a batter, He's just in the box. I'm guessing this shooters 1.45% chance of a hit, is 100% higher than yours and mine?... AND if it's not, let's see you do it with a 1.46% hit rate, ALL The while be sure and tell us, there's no knowledge involved, or skill.

This is getting way off the original topic. It shouldn't even be in "Predator Hunting".

You pretty much have to put the first round in a dessert plate sized target in the field to kill a coyote and it gets smaller from there. How to do that would be a good subject for "Predator Hunting". Percentages of misses are just misses only effective hits count.

Add in running shots and the numbers change again. I used to do running shots but now I'm afraid I'd lose my balance and take a header. I always seemed to make enough running shots to have myself I could do it. I also missed enough to believe I couldn't.

BTW we are working on the upgrade.

Originally Posted By: AWSThis is getting way off the original topic. It shouldn't even be in "Predator Hunting".

See, it keeps the thread poppin, and the Admins checkin...
PERFECT!

Originally Posted By: RedfrogAdd in running shots and the numbers change again. I used to do running shots but now I'm afraid I'd lose my balance and take a header. I always seemed to make enough running shots to have myself I could do it. I also missed enough to believe I couldn't.

BTW we are working on the upgrade.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogAdd in running shots and the numbers change again. I used to do running shots but now I'm afraid I'd lose my balance and take a header.

Shotgun or rifle?

laffn.....

There isn't anyone who wants off this software more than I do but it's not a simple thing & there are costs.

How much those costs will total up to, we simply don't know yet. I know some of them but not all, not by any means.

In broad terms, the simplified version looks like this:

Pick the new software (I like Xenforo, both as a user & as someone looking at it for functionality that we need here)

License the software

Get our host to stand up a server to install it on as well as a new database for it

Install it

Configure the forums to match

Ditto groups, group permissions & such

Figure out what/how we want the home page & forums to look. I'd really like to do some sort of facelift while we're at this. Depending on hwo the new software does things I might have to learn a new language. Or 2 or 3

Get the current data migrated over -Xenforo does not support migrating from Infopop out of the box but there are companies who do this. This is one of the costs we don't know yet

Test everything for functionality & fix everything we find that's not doing what it should

Now we're happy & want to go live. Well, that means blowing away all the post data from the migration & migrating it all again so as to be current.

This also means either shutting down the old site or putting it in read only mode for the duration

Then bring the new site online & take the old one offline

Shazaam, we've moved. Now I can think about working on what sorts of other functionality we'd like to implement but that wasn't required just to get moved.

As you can see there's a lot involved & I'm not available to work on this full time, I have a real job & have to do my parts in what free time I have

So this is what we want to do & what we have to do in order to get there. But we don't know how long this is all going to take or what it will all cost yet

Pretty good run down Stu.

As a veteran of several web/data migrations, I think they're at least a couple more gotcha's that will surface, but that's most of it.

I have a massive Jira migration I'm nominally in charge of, set to happen in a few weeks. The amount of work, time, that have gone into it are getting pretty big. Dollars already spent approaching seven figures. If it goes too far sideways, I'll be looking for a new rock to hide under...

- DAA

Stu. Good to see leg work being done. DAA. I, being VERY tech unsavy had NO IDEA of the money needed to accomplish this and l am sure many others on here had no idea.

If it ends up being that much, I don't see it happening. But I don't expect that it will be, it's a different sort of elephant we're trying to eat here.

But we can't guess, we have to be sure before committing to anything.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishIf it ends up being that much, I don't see it happening. But I don't expect that it will be, it's a different sort of elephant we're trying to eat here.

Should be closer to 1/100 of that. The one I'm in the midst of, is a totally different beast than getting off this old forum software.

- DAA

I watched the Cal Taylor episode, really good stuff. Been going back and watching those other interviews, Randy Anderson, Les Johnson. Really appreciate you guys putting in the effort to do that. Lots of great stuff in there that I feel just about anyone could learn something from.

I've been watching this thread. Been on this forum a long time, off and on.

It hasn't always been perfect here, that's for sure. But for most of the time I have been on it, it has been one of the best places out there (warts and all) to get some true nuggets of info on predator hunting that are hard to find other places. I have learned tons of things on here. Good, detailed, hard to find information that is not mainstream. Sure, sometimes a guy has to search and wade through a lot of BS to find those nuggets. But they are here. Mostly buried deep, but sometimes they pop out, get resurrected from the dead. That is if a person will read and listen, show some respect, and have an open mind.

The fact is, individuals come and go. It is the nature of forums I suppose. But we have lost more than our fair share of members who really knew what they were talking about. That is a shame. I would love to see this place come back and regain some of its old glory, and not just be "another predator hunting forum" or fade into obscurity.

I have no computer/forum/admin type skills. I'm no help there. I could throw some money at it, if I thought there was a legit chance of it helping.

One thing I really miss, is the custom call makers forum. Used to be that place was hopping. I loved seeing all the custom calls, and I bought more than a couple over the years. It was a really unique place, IMO. Now it is pretty much dead. That is a shame. last year I started making a few custom calls. Not enough to make any money at it. Just a fun hobby I enjoy. Basically use the money to buy more tools, or supplies. I don't sell enough or make enough to in any way justify paying one of the sponsorships. But it might be worth it from the aspect of just helping keep that forum alive. I always felt that forum was one of the things that made this place unique. I think rejuvenating that would be worthwhile. A step back towards the roots, and one of the things that made this place great.

Used to be competition for the Hunter of the month stories was pretty stiff too. That competition drove lots of good content. Content that wasn't just "from the professionals" but everyday folks getting it done. For dang sure I would make and donate some calls to something like that. Probably lots of reasons that program died off, not sure how it went by the wayside. May be too many issues to bring it back. But maybe instead of once a month, do it twice a year. Spring and fall. Something like that. IDK, just an idea.

The thing is, it takes several kinds of members to make a site great. It takes the high knowledge/high skill set type, the holders of the knowledge, that can really teach and bring less skilled members along. But there has to be those normal average members to soak up that knowledge as well. The forum has to appeal to both types. It takes both types (plus several in between) to have a healthy forum that will grow. The key is retaining the holders of the knowledge and encouraging them to stay and share that knowledge, so that there is a reason for newer members to come and join, and be here.

Anyways, glad to see that it looks like maybe there are some things in the works to get things moving back in the right direction, and not just a continuing slide into the abyss. I will try and step up and do whatever small part I can, if I see a need I can help fill.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotso anything new or different happening here?

I'm not sure where things are going... I spoke with Jeff, but regarding things becoming updated and progressing, I do not know.

In the months this thread has been going, nothing has changed, except for the guys applying for the "boss" jobs got them. Its sad that redfrog was allowed to resign after absolutely destroying the site, starting when R.B. turned it over to him.

Preserving old content, whats that mean, the content written by the guys that really had something to offer, the ones redfrog banned? Oh, I know they were bad people, and were voted off by the staff. The same staff that had their noses up redfrogs butt. I remember when L.B. was sent packing as well as R.R. and others not that were bad, but they dared to buck redfrog, and, they were staff not just a members. Most staff members were intimidated, they wanted the job and kept their mouth shut like the cowards they were.

The site is here, massive changes can be made right now. Invite the banned members back. Post a message to them on site as well as an Email. Most won't come back as redfrog is still a mod here. Time will tell. But, if you don't do anything, nothing will change from the current status. You are at the bottom, either start swimming or you will drown. You need members. redfrog said once, "if they don't like it they can leave, we'll get new members" That was said in mod area, around 2009 or so if you want to look it up.

This site is not down because of the lack of posted knowledge, its purely management. Look at everything redfrog put in place and undo most of it ASAP.

The word sensor is grossly overused, Have you gone to a movie lately, the language there is appalling by some standards. Here, [beeep] is probably being blocked.

I read this whole thread twice. There is some very good information and suggestions in it, time to do it.

Back