What model is it?

pyscodog

Remington 700, heavy barrel, matte finish with a jeweled bolt, green with black spider webs and the palm swell, either B&C or H-S Prec. stock, but says Remington on the recoil pad. Caliber is 308 Win. Which model Remington is it???

Remington 5R's came with a stock like you're describing but I'm pretty sure all of those were stainless barrels and actions.

When you say "matte finish" is it matte finish stainless? If it's matte stainless then it sounds like a Rem 700 5R

Rem 700 XCR long range?? Can’t remember if they had the jeweled bolt.

Edit: If it’s fluted it may be an early VSF, before they were stainless.

Last edited:
I used to have a Long Range. Stock is different on this one than the LR model. It has a wide rounded fore end and palm swells. Really doesn't matter, mostly just curious. LOL, just another Remington.

It sounds like the same stock they used on the Rem 700 5r model which looks the same as the stock on Rem PSS model except those were black and the 5r stock was green with web pattern. I have a Rem 700 5r take off stock on my 20-250 build.

Just a varmint special that somebody exchanged the stock on be my guess.
The R5's were stainless and the PSS models which had all black stock were all parkerized.

I kinda think this rifle may have started life as a Rem P. Then the stock was swapped somewhere down the line. Its a Remington. They're about all the same with different stocks.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI kinda think this rifle may have started life as a Rem P. Then the stock was swapped somewhere down the line. Its a Remington. They're about all the same with different stocks.

Email remington with the Serial # and ask what it left the factory as and then go from there

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI kinda think this rifle may have started life as a Rem P. Then the stock was swapped somewhere down the line. Its a Remington. They're about all the same with different stocks.

The P model 700's have a parkerized finish, that's actually what the P stands for not "Police" like everyone thinks, and it's different then any of the other finishes Remington uses. It's kind of a weird finish and has a bit of a rough texture. I think it's meant to absorb light and be nonreflective. You mentioned this one had a jeweled bolt which I've never seen on any 700P with a jeweled bolt.

It sounds like a Remington 700 milspec 5R that someone maybe had coated except for the bolt. Or, it's possibly a conglomeration of different parts and pieces.

If it's a milspec 5R the barrel will have 5R rifling and the gun will look like this. https://www.guns.com/news/review/remington-700-mil-spec-5r

Back