Needing help with using IMR 8208 XBR in my .243 Winchester

weneedtoo

Can't seem to find much load info for IMR 8208 XBR powder. Looking for loads for .243 Winchester, using 85gr/100gr jacketed bullets. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have nearly 15lbs of 8208, so I really need to use some of it.

First off I think using a 100 gr in 243 wastes most of the potential of a 243.

That said IMR 8208 XBR Is for smaller bullets, like a 55gr. It will make a rocket, 4000 fps.
In my 6mm Remington, I get over 4200 fps.
Try Superformance and an 80 or 85 gr bullet and look out...

Originally Posted By: jetman[size:14pt]First off I think using a 100 gr in 243 wastes most of the potential of a 243.

Never heard this before. I've shot lots of 243s....

IMHO, it depends upon what you are planning to hunt with the rifle. I've never been a fan of barrel burners, just color me cheap, I guess. The lighter bullets at golly-gosh velocities are impressive, but no warts on the heavier bullets and they are still effective at somewhat lower velocities while getting a lot more mileage out of my barrels. I used a 243 WSSM w/87 gr. Hornady HP's at less than maximum velocities and the coyotes never knew the difference. !00 gr. Nosler partitions hammered the deer and hogs w/great authority, and I'm sure my barrel had less indigestion in the process.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

8208 is a great temp insensitive powder - for certain loads.
I use it for light bullets per cartridge, but not heavy.
For 243 that would be 50-60 gr.
For 6.5cm that would be 60-80 gr.
For 308 that would be 110 gr.

For heavy 243 pills I'd use a slower burning powder like Varget, H4350 or H100V.

Should be no problem to sell 5-10 lbs of it, then buy a more appropriate powder for the heavier bullets.

The bullets velocity does not wear out a barrel- large charges of slow burning powders do.

Back