"Limp Wristing" possible with AR's?

Before I start to narrow down possible mechanical issues with one of my rifles, I was just curious if it's possible to have feed issues due to not holding the rifle tight enough to shoulder/cheek. I know my wife had issues at the pistol range with her handgun and the staff at the range was busy correcting her "limp wristing" and getting her to hold tighter, etc.... One of my Ar's will either not eject the shell completely, or if it does, it will not feed another round. Only happens occasionally, so I was just wondering if the same thing could happen to a rifle. This is while night hunting and shooting off a tripod using an arca swiss mount. I'm sure at times I'm not getting a solid hold, basically just using the tripod to hold the rifle at a shot.

It is possible. Grandson was not putting mine solid to his shoulder and it was doing the same thing. Functions fine when I shooter it.

With the muzzle being 12 o'clock and rear of the rifle being 6 o'clock, where are spent cases landing when ejected? Will the bolt lock open on the last shot in the mag?

Last edited:
The rifle is a 5.56 CBC upper, 20" 1:8 heavy barrel w/15" keymod, and a "MEGA" lower with RRA 2 stage trigger, A2 rifle stock.

As far as where the ejected shells go, I really don't know as this happens at night, and I've never shot until the mag was empty while hunting. When I've shot it daytime to sight in etc... it was on a bench with sand bag and it only happened once then. Just thought it was me. I do have a full RRA "predator pursuit" rifle that has never had this issue.

Factory or reloads? You can remove the bcg, plug the chamber with a foam ear plug and run air thru the barrel, feel for air exiting the gas tube. If the locator pin was sheared off when the barrel nut was tightened, that's a problem. So is an undersize/ misaligned gas port. Or too heavy buffer. Reloads may not be sized properly.

All factory ammo.

Thanks for the answers. Guess I'll start with the buffer / spring since that would be the easiest fix if it was the problem.

Just put one round in the mag and then chamber it and shoot it. If it the bolt locks open you have ample gas and the buffer and spring weight aren't too heavy. The ejected case should end up around 3 o'clock.

Last edited:

I recently had the same thing happen on a 6.8 SPC SBR build that I have never had issues with before. I started checking and realized that a new PRI magazine I had started using had misaligned feed ramps at the top.

When I would seat the magazine I could see the top round was sitting low in my mag well. When I would slowly release the BCG the round would slide out and jam against the feed ramps of the barrel. The magazine also seemed very "loose" in the mag well and I think it was just a seriously out of spec mag.

This shows the round being pushed out of the mag and it stopped when the nose of the bullet jammed against the feed ramp. This particular bullet has a rounded hollow point nose and was more prone to the problem.

86oS8OY.jpg

FYI

hku8EVc.png

Last edited:
So, thanks again. I shot a few rounds tonight. Sat up on a gravel parking lot at a duck club so I could see where the cases landed. It is ejecting at every bit of 4:00 probably closer to 4:30. I secured it to the tripod and purposely only held it by the grip and pulled the trigger and just stood back to watch the casings. I did 3 groups of 3 without any issues. The bolt locked open all 3 times.

Gman, I too had a similar issue with a 10 round pmag so I disposed of that one.....

Back