Thinking about a new 243

hylander

Sold my 6.5 Creed.
Looking at maybe replacing it with a 243
Looking at the Tikka T3X.
Looking for accuracy.
Thoughts?

For an off the shelf factory rifle, they're as good as any and better than most so I'd say go for it. If you reload this won't matter a whole lot but if you're by chance shooting factory ammo I'd consider getting a 6mm Creed instead. I think the 6mm Creed has better factory support in the ammo department with regard to accuracy.

I've been looking for a tiny wormhole for a long time.
We reload too custom to each rifle we own.
The truth be told my daughter's cheap Savage off-the-shelf package K-mart 243 rifle with no work shoots almost as good as any of our way more expensive, and worked on rifles.

Last edited:
I bought a Tikka T3X Superlite in 243 Win a couple of years ago and absolutely love it. It sits great right between my 220 Swift and 7mm RUM.
I worked up a load for it using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX and it shoots 1/2 MOA. Tikka makes a great rifle, especially for the money. They are very accurate right out of the box and even better if you reload.
It has become one of my favorite rifles. I bought it mainly for Antelope and deer size game. Since my main "go to" varmint rifle is my Swift, I have not worked up any loads for the 243 in the 55 gr range but I know a lot of guys use theirs for a dedicated varmint rifle.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI bought a Tikka T3X Superlite in 243 Win a couple of years ago and absolutely love it. It sits great right between my 220 Swift and 7mm RUM.
I worked up a load for it using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX and it shoots 1/2 MOA. Tikka makes a great rifle, especially for the money. They are very accurate right out of the box and even better if you reload.
It has become one of my favorite rifles. I bought it mainly for Antelope and deer size game. Since my main "go to" varmint rifle is my Swift, I have not worked up any loads for the 243 in the 55 gr range but I know a lot of guys use theirs for a dedicated varmint rifle.

Would love to get the T3X Superlite but can't find one.
I have found the the blued T3X Lite, so that will be the one I get.
I already have a 98 Mauser in 243 but the barrel copper fouls like crazy, Weird because it is a Lother Walther.

Last edited:
I’ve got a Tikka T3x stainless (laminate stock) that absolutely loves 87vmax! I’m very happy with the the gun.

Maybe look at the Bergara Ridge rifle. Little thicker barrel to handle some heat… 243 gets hot quickly, and it comes with a threaded barrrel. A true short action over the tikka long action. The ridge is a little heavier also, bout a pound and a half. I know .243 won’t put you on your rear but a little weight and a muzzle break/suppressor really help keep the target in sight. I like to watch the rock chuck explode in the scope, or see the coyote drop when I shoot.

My buddy has a Ridge in 300 WM and it’s a very nice gun.

I have a Tikka 243 hunter also. I shoots great with 58 gr Superformance so I haven't had the need to reload yet. It also shot great with Federal ammo loaded with the 85 gr Sierra hp, but Federal has discontinued it. Glad to hear the 80 gr Barnes is working well.

Just saw the Ruger Go Wild available.
Thoughts versus the Tikka.
My Ruger Predator 6.5 shoots under .6 all day

Last edited:
I have a Ruger American Go Wild in 243 that handles both 100 gr and 58 gr Hornady very well. I'm not crazy about the stock but the V-block bedding is a great thing and the trigger is very manageable.

Well,
I ordered the Tikka T3X today along with a Leupold rail.
I have a Vortex 4-16X44 FFP for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hylanderWell,
I ordered one today along with a Leupold rail.
I have a Vortex 4-16X44 FFP for it.

Congrats.

Last edited:

Lots of good options to choose from. Enjoy your new Tikka. Just for discussion I’ll add one more to the list, a Bergara B14 Hunter. I have a wonderfully accurate one in 308. Just a thought to ponder.

My Tikka came in, looks great.
Trigger pull is crisp at #3.5, probably will adjust it down to about #2.75 if it has that much adjustment.

Back