Coyote season is fast approaching what are you working on?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I like Varmageddons in the Grendel and would like to try the 110’s in the .308, but they apparently are non-existent right now. Can’t find them anywhere.

Here ya go, Dave, and they have a 10% off Labor Day special to boot.
thumbup1.gif

110 grain .308 Varmageddons

Complete listing in case you need anything else:

Nosler Labor Day Specials

Regards,
hm

HM, thank you so much. I just now ordered two boxes. Hope they shoot well in my rifle. I notice they are Blems, but I assume there is no real problem with them. I really appreciate the heads up to this.

They shoot well in my BAR; in fact about the only thing I've found that holds moa in that rifle. Plan to try some Speer 125 gr TNT's in the BAR, as they both have flat base and almost identical shape. Tried the TNT's and 110 Varmageddons in a problem .308 Savage and they didn't shoot well, but the Savage is another premadonna and won't shoot anything but 130 gr. NBT's. Go "figger". Hope they shoot well for you; they hammer coyotes.
smile.gif

I can't say I've ever found a Nosler blem and have shot a ton of them in everything from .22 to .375. Some are overruns but most were listed as blems. They all shoot as well as their regular bullets for me.

Regards,
hm

Still trying to squeeze a tad more accuracy out of the BAR after finally getting the 110 Varmageddons down to a smidgen over moa (the only bullet I've found to shoot that well in that rifle. I know, some of us are never satisfied!

Have heard the Speer 125 TNT's are great coyote medicine, but never could get them to shoot in the Savage, which likes the 125 gr. NBT (a boat tail). The BAR barfed on that bullet as well.

The profile of the 110 VG and the 125 TNT are very close and both are flat base, so am currently losding up a couple of ladder tests with the TNT's. We'll soon see.
52339355140_b4de19021c_c.jpg

52337971047_327f30a3e4_c.jpg

OAL same on both bullets but the TNT has as BC of .341 compared to .293 for the VG, so TNT should hold up a bit better at longer ranges if it will just group for me.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:

Anxious to hear the results, HM. Two boxes of Varmageddon’s are headed my way. I also acquired a box of 130 gr. Sierra hp’s. Have you ever used those bullets?

Haven't shot any Sierra 130's but I'd bet they will get 'er done. Have shot thousands of 168's and 190's (SMK's) between 1983 & 2000; they were, IMO, the most common .30 cal. bullets on the firing line in XTC competition back when. Shot Sierra 110's, 150's & 165's for various hunting chores and they all performed well.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: AWS
I'm still going to work on two coyotes with my bow. Called in five to bow range last year and missed two, shot under both before the season took a bad turn and had to quite hunting.

If we can get our schedules to work, I'll try some archery stands with you this season. I would also like to get a coyote with a handgun. I've never killed a coyote in MT or UT and I think I will have a reasonable chance in both states this fall.

Talking with Driven2tri24, he asked me what I was gonna change for this year. Nothing really, Slightly upped velocity in my 69TMK load, that's it. Older Pulsar scanner, 2 identical 18.5" suppressed uppers. One with 3-9 Nikon, other with Armasight Nemesis. Works well along with addition sounds on Foxpro.

Working on upgrading from night vision to thermal. Farmers almanac predicting more snow this winter. Had a few nights last year, coyotes came to bait when precipitation started and was not able to shoot using IR lights, but could see well with thermal scanner.

Large reason keeping me with NV is for positive ID, would not be a good thing if shot a farmer's dog. Have seen sometimes where ID out around 300 positive with NV, only a guess with thermal.

I have a Titanium Zermatt TL3 on the way, I spun up a 22 GT chambered Bartlein carbon fiber 18" barrel and have extended scope rails built so that I can run my clipon thermals as I went from dedicated thermals to clipons so I have my rifles ready day or night. I haven't killed anything yet, but purchased a voodoo S thermal and am setting it in either a manners LRH stock or MDT Hnt26 chassis. My goal is light as possible sparing no expense.

My load in 18" barrel is 60 vmaxes running 3500fps flat. So far with almost no load development I have serval groups under 1/2"...closer to 3/8".

Also getting my dad's old Ram fixed up and going to find a flat bed so I can jump on top when I'm calling in the fields for better elevation.

Rifles, loads, whatnot all about the same I guess. I did start making some hand calls last spring. Made about 30 of them so far, mostly closed reed but some open reed. This season I plan to try and take as many coyotes as possible using my own hand calls and really minimize my use of electronics. Kind of started that late season last year and had a pretty decent run, I think the last 15-20 we killed were all with my mouth calls.

I've been working on cutting blanks out of a big old spalted pecan log I got and stabilizing them with Cactus Juice. This box is maybe a third of what I have, got some dyed Aztec Gold as well. There will be some really nice looking calls come out of that stuff.

I've got this 4 call set I made for myself. Howler, coarse double reed jack, clean single reed cottontail, and a squeaker. For my personal calls I used up some of my "marginal" wood that had flaws/cracks in it that I repaired, that I would not use on a call I built for someone else. So you can see some issues in a couple of these, but no biggie if they break on me I'll just spin up a new one.

MCd1EaO.jpg

fWVaKPB.jpg

Thanks guys. I've been experimenting with different woods. Rosewood, Cocobolo, Bocote, Zebrawood, Wenge, Purpleheart that I have bought but then the Spalted Pecan that I harvested myself, plus Wild Cherry, Mulberry (which is a close relative to Osage Orange), Walnut and several others that I am sure I am forgetting about right now. Mesquite is one that is for sure on my list to try I just have to get out and find some I like. Plenty of it around here.

My calls don't have a fancy design. Pretty hard to come up with something unique that hasn't been done before or that doesn't have elements from something someone else is doing. So basically I just picked a utilitarian style with clean lines that I liked, and am rolling with it. Basic calls meant to be carried and used.

Finishing is the hardest part. Finding a method that is simple and easy, yet durable and looks good. Been experimenting a lot but haven't found the right system that I am satisfied on all counts with yet.

I have a new barrel for my calling rifle. It’s a bighorn origin action, mesa precision stock, muller works carbon barrel, 26” chambered in 22-243ai running 75g amaxes at 3550ish while fireforming brass.

Back