Coyote hunting Mouth Calls or Electronic

Electronic only. I get tired puffing like a screaming rabbit or ki-yiing like a hurt puppy. To get the right emphasis requires hand motions and any excess motion is easily spotted. I tend to call open country. In thicker brush hand calls might not be such a handicap. The electronic calls get more volume.

Originally Posted By: ironworkerWhat are you all using Mouth calls or Electronic ?

What are you using to call in Coyotes?

Good question. I'm in the Pah Rah MTS of Northern NV at 6,000 FT elevation Thick sage and rocks and Desert Trees Jack Rabbits and cotton tails. Few squirrels. What animal calls should I use ? I have an old Fox Pro with 90 animal sounds .

Last edited:
In my opinion what sound you use has little bearing on success, how you use it is far more important.

In heavily called areas with a lot of inexperience callers it will take more finesse and out of the box thinking than calling to virgin ears.

That is fun country to call in, I've called around Elko when the convention was there, Winnemucca and Searchlight.

I just looked up your location, I didn't know the name of the mountains. I have a friend in the area, another combo gun and drilling aficionado. We talk about coyotes in the area and he shoots a few off his deck with a 6.5x57R drilling. We always talk about getting together for a coyote hunt there. You should do well.

I use both. If I only used electronic caller, I would probably kill about as many coyotes if I only used hand calls. Both can be very effective. I tend to have more confidence in calling heavily called/educated coyotes with hand calls but to be honest, I've fooled many wise old coyotes with an electronic call. I think the decisions you make before you start calling have a bigger impact on success than the exact call/sounds you make on a stand.

Originally Posted By: ironworkerGood question. I'm in the Pah Rah MTS of Northern NV at 6,000 FT elevation Thick sage and rocks and Desert Trees Jack Rabbits and cotton tails. Few squirrels. What animal calls should I use ? I have an old Fox Pro with 90 animal sounds .

you been on here since 2005 and are asking this question now? you been in a long term coma or something? just seems odd.

90% hand calls/10% electronic.

Someone else mentioned this already, but it's worth repeating: stand selection is more important than what sounds you use.

Heck, I've lip-squeaked a lot of coyotes to their last moments on Earth, lol.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ironworkerGood question. I'm in the Pah Rah MTS of Northern NV at 6,000 FT elevation Thick sage and rocks and Desert Trees Jack Rabbits and cotton tails. Few squirrels. What animal calls should I use ? I have an old Fox Pro with 90 animal sounds .

you been on here since 2005 and are asking this question now? you been ina long term coma or something? just seems odd
ironworker Online
Die Hard Member

Loc: Nevada
I've shot many coyotes, I just like reading about others' experiences. Plus I'm hunting in a new location, and I didn't draw a big game tag, lots of money in my gear, not getting any younger. I feel more motivated.

Last edited:
Both. Lighting conditions, wind direction and area help dictate which I lean on more. Hand calls are of course more unique sounding as everyone blows them differently. Spend a bunch of money here with the custom call makers and you will be happy.!!

Back