Handloading for the Triple Deuce

Just picked up a Sako AI in .222 Rem in good shape and am new to the .222 relm. Done quite a bit of shooting with the .223 Rem and am assuming the same types of powder that work well in the .223 will also work well in the .222. I plan to shoot 50 gr Noslers out of this gun and am thinking probably just start with Benchmark since ive got a case of it. Anybody here with a pet load?

Here's a PDF from Berger with data for Benchmark. I used Benchmark and the 40gr Nosler BT to win the PM Egg Shoot. It is rather hard to find an appropriate powder/bullet combo that doesn't shoot well in a 222 Rem. Your rifle will tell you the best load for it. Somebody else best load is best load in THEIR rifle.

https://www.bergerbullets.com/articles/rh-vandenburg-222-remington.pdf

I use Benchmark, 4895, 2230 in my 222's. My got to bullet is the Speer 52gr Varmint bullet, it is more accurate than the 40gr NBT by tenths of an inch but the NBT feeds better in my Savage.

Nice rifle by the way, the little Sako's made their name with the 222 Rem, I use a vixen Fullstock in 222 Rem(52gr Speer) for coyote hunting.

Last edited:
Great little caliber that I have been shooting and reloading for 40 years. The old Hornady 50gr SX was a great bullet I shot out of mine for years and then went to the Nosler 40 gr BT. Those shot with a high degree of accuracy out of my Remington 722 but I was getting some splashes on coyotes so I moved to the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade. That is a great little performing bullet in the 222.
They are easy to load for and can shoot a lot of great powders. What I would do is go to any reloading manual and pick a powder you already have in your reloading room and give it a try. H322 and H335 are great powders for the 222 that I have used a lot over the years.

As noted above, the 222 is hard to find a load that DOESNT work for it. For whatever reason, IMR4198 (H4198) has always been listed as WAY faster in velocity with safe pressures with 40 grain bullets than other powders.....accurate too. It is not as temp stable as some others fwiw. Many powders and bullets will work well.

Last edited:
I’ve had a 722 in 222 for18 years.... it’s the easiest gun to load for I have. I mostly use ram shot exterminator and aa2230 now I have used 2015, rl7,rl10x, IMR 4198 with equal success. I mostly load 40 gr vmax or 40 get Sierra hp.
.....if I go on a pd trip it is one gun I will always take ......... it is one gun I will never sell..... I use published loads by accurate/ ram shot and Hodgdon. From their websites...

Back